Who has experience with Hydrotac lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brilig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I can still read my gauges but it's getting difficult. I like the idea of the Hydrotac stick on lenses but I'm worried they would fall off in the water. They come in pairs so I was thinking I could just put in one since it's just to check my SPG, compass, and bottom timer. I could put the second lens in my spare mask.
Has anyone tried these? How well did they work?

They actually work decently well.

Figure out where they should sit in your mask for your own needs. I've used both of the two main brands. One has lenses bigger than the other, but I forget which.

Follow the directions and they have a good chance of sticking tight for a while (multiple dive trips), but yeah, having a spare around might be helpful. If you only need one, it's a fine idea to put the other in your second mask.

I’ve used them for years, only one on the left, they will come loose eventually. When I find a mask I like I glue in a glass lens using silicone sealer which makes it permanent. I do keep a few of the stick on ones in my save a dive kit for temporary use if I lose or damage a mask and don’t have a spare with me.

We had trouble with those stick on lenses when trying it for my wife. Directions were followed. She ended up not liking the placement (minor) and then it fell off when cleaning after very few dives (we tried with just one first). We still have the lens(es) and adhesive but chose to try a gauge reader mask from DGX for $50 first. She got a Ren. Very happy. (The Rio has a different shap- we don't reallt know why she picked the Ren, but it works). It's a good mask. You can select a different diopter for right and left. The mask comes with the corrected lenses installed and the plain glass ones shipped too. You can change lenses easily yourself if something changes. They do prescription lenses too. Now, if only one could get it with prescription lens and the reader lens in one...
Masks - Vision Correcting | Fins - Masks - Bags | Dive Gear Express®

I stuck mine on where I wanted on a frameless mask and like another poster, used a small amount of silicone caulk to fix it in place

I stuck mine on where I wanted on a frameless mask and like another poster, used a small amount of silicone caulk to fix it in place
On the perimeter of the stick on lens then? Or in the optical path?

On the edge, applied with a toothpick, after having the lens “set” in the usual way. I used the mirror to double check placement, just a couple of dots spread along the edge. The only drawback is that the stick on lenses fog more quickly than the background glass lens.

The only drawback is that the stick on lenses fog more quickly than the background glass lens.
Agreed. That's actually why my wife's came off. It kept fogging and I decided to finger buff it with the usual compound (like a new mask)... Moot point for her now. I still may go with prescription lenses and glued in cheaters some future day if I cannot find a bifocal of sorts ... or warm up to contacts...

I assume these are the ones you stick on with just water? I agree it may be best to put only one in the mask. I put mine (both) in the bottom of the mask of course and found it awkward to read the gauges. Then I lost two, one in the ocean and one in the pool (couldn't find the pool one although I searched the whole bottom).
I don't really need them since I had the Lasic surgery 15 years ago, but the idea was that since I still need reading glasses, it would eliminate squinting to read the dive gauges.
If I were to use them again, I think I would use some kind of glue (Krazy Glue on the edges?) to attach them. Loosing them was a nuisance. I saw on the ad 100% guarenteed...guess that doesn't cover them falling out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom