Who has driven to Chiquilá for the Holbox ferry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I dove it a few years ago, even tho I could not find a good map, and eventually found it - hours late. Can-Do maps now has good ones on the area, and Google has improved greatly - but seems to still be giving directions that will not work...?!

From Cancun, Google says to take 180 - but our experience with the toll road was that we could not exit where needed! We had to go to Valladolid, then circle back on 180 Libre. Hated that lost feeling as well as the extra miles and hours...!!
1.JPG
153 km, 2 hours 46 mins
México 180 - but fails...!

We actually started at Playa del Carmen, to Cancun airport, then took the nice shortcut to 180, then the boring tollway - but could not exit where google suggests! We had to go Valladolid as I mentioned, which is further from the road north than Cancun. Exploring, dodging potholes in the dark...!
2.jpg
206 km, 3 hours 23 mins
México 180 - but fails!

This shortcut from Puerto Morelos looks much more appealing, and that would keep you on the free roads including 180 Libre and able to continue north when desired - but is that a good road? Who has done it lately...?
3.JPG
181 km, 3 hours 38 mins
Good idea?

From PDC, south to Tulum, then to Coba, then north looks viable - altho further. I know the route as far as Coba, good road, but what about from Coba north? Anyone done it lately...?
4.JPG
237 km, 4 hours 17 mins
57 Km/35 miles further

Experiences...??

The road from Puerto Morelos to Leona Vicario is great. Brand new and nice. A few years ago it was barely passible. It used to be possible to sneak off the tollroad and head up to Holbox but they seem to have shut off the trails around the overpass bases pretty well. If you can find a local on the side of the tollroad sometimes they can tell you where an illicit exit is, but lately they seem to be blocked up.

Brian

---------- Post added September 8th, 2013 at 08:57 PM ----------

I should mention that at Leona Vicario you get on old 180 and it is just like it always was.

The road from Puerto Morelos to Leona Vicario is great. Brand new and nice. A few years ago it was barely passible. It used to be possible to sneak off the tollroad and head up to Holbox but they seem to have shut off the trails around the overpass bases pretty well. If you can find a local on the side of the tollroad sometimes they can tell you where an illicit exit is, but lately they seem to be blocked up.

Brian

---------- Post added September 8th, 2013 at 08:57 PM ----------

I should mention that at Leona Vicario you get on old 180 and it is just like it always was.
Sounds like the way to go, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom