Trip Report Padangbai (Bali) Report: Geko Divers August '23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was either at at the Jetty or Blue Lagoon on early to mid February, and was for a lot of the dive. 99 percent certainty means that there is a 1 percent chance that the event will occur. If thee was a 1 per cent chance that I would win the lottery, I would buy a lot of tickets.

It was either at at the Jetty or Blue Lagoon on early to mid February, and was for a lot of the dive. 99 percent certainty means that there is a 1 percent chance that the event will occur. If thee was a 1 per cent chance that I would win the lottery, I would buy a lot of tickets.

That's so interesting, I'd be keen to dive it, with a 5mm and thermals of course 😃👌🏼

Ok guys, What wetsuit do I need in May?
Was going to take a 5mm, or would a 3mm and a 1.5mm vest [when needed] do the job, I use a 3mm when others are in shorts and Ts or a shortie 2mm on the GBR here.
I am also going to Nusa Lembongan for a couple of days.

Was going to take a 5mm, or would a 3mm and a 1.5mm vest [when needed] do the job, I use a 3mm when others are in shorts and Ts or a shortie 2mm on the GBR here.

I wore 5mm wetsuit & 1mm hood when I was there in August last year, but I wear it all year long in Bali as I mostly dive in the south part of Bali, where cold Indian Ocean meets with warm Java Sea.

I wear hood, not only to keep my head warm, but also for protecting my ears from getting blister as I strap my mask over the center of earlobes (not above the earlobes like when you wear glasses) to keep from water leaking around cheeks area, when I wore the mask like wearing glasses. Strapping the mask over the middle of my earlobes puts equal pressure of the mask skirt on the forehead & cheeks area, unlike the regular way, where more pressure on the forehead and less on the cheeks.

What were the temps in PB? It is "winter" so water can be a bit colder in Tulamben now; and specific sites can be colder year round.

There is no such "winter" season in Bali. "Bali has a tropical climate, which means it is hot and humid all year round. The average temperature is around 27°C (81°F), but it can vary depending on the altitude and the location. The coastal areas are usually warmer and drier than the inland areas, which are cooler and wetter." Plan Your Bali Trip Based on Weather: Climate, Seasons, and Tips..

In "general" you are either in dry season from April to October or wet season in October to April, where April and October are the transition periods, from wet to dry season in April or vice versa, from dry to wet in October. We get a nice cool breeze in July & August as it is winter season in Australia.

I thought I was well prepared for my recent trip to Thailand. But I was WRONG. Only 1 day off the 9 days that I did not wet my suit! There is absolutely NO solution being cold under water. Too warm, let in some water to cool it off.
Enjoy your trip in Indonesia.

There are a million good reasons to wear a wetsuit and really none to not wear one. Never in my life have I been too hot on a dive, and if things start going wonky, I want every advantage to minimize task loading.

There are a million good reasons to wear a wetsuit
That's me, I have had funny looks pulling on a 5mm when it is 38C out of the water and 26C in, warm before you splash but 'snug as a bug in a rug' during the dive, unlike some when they hit a thermocline.
And a Shark Skin vest under it at times, nice.

The thermocline we hit in Koh Lanta dropped the temp from a cozy 28C to 22C! No one was prepared for that except the guides. When I first noticed most of the guides on the boat were wearing multi-layered, I realized the mistake I had made by leaving the thick suit at home.

There are a million good reasons to wear a wetsuit and really none to not wear one. Never in my life have I been too hot on a dive, and if things start going wonky, I want every advantage to minimize task loading.

One time I wore a 2mm shorty and accidentally brushed my shins on Stinging hydroid (Hydrozoa) which resulted in blisters like getting poison ivy on my shins, itching like hell for a week. Full wetsuit protect my skins from stinging corals or critters like jellyfish.

I still use the 2mm shorty for layering over my 3mm full wetsuit when I dive in a cooler (<26C) water.

One time I wore a 2mm shorty and accidentally brushed my shins on Stinging hydroid (Hydrozoa) which resulted in blisters like getting poison ivy on my shins, itching like hell for a week. Full wetsuit protect my skins from stinging corals or critters like jellyfish.

I still use the 2mm shorty for layering over my 3mm full wetsuit when I dive in a cooler (<26C) water.
My cheapo spandex leggings from Decathlon keep the hydroids and other stingy stuff in the water at bay...and yeah, I brushed up on some hydroids once while taking a picture and had a really itchy rash for weeks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom