Who bought Rock Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ou did dive Rock Lake? I was told that it sold already?
I dove it with my Trimix instructor. He has the permission. I do know that the ownership has not changed. I will post some surface pictures later.

rookers:
I dove it with my Trimix instructor. He has the permission. I do know that the ownership has not changed. I will post some surface pictures later.
I appreciate your input, and look forward to more information and pics. To post pics, please remember to reduce them to around 500 wide so you won't blow the dimensions of this thread - hope you don't mind my suggestions, and load them onto a Yahoo album or other off SB site to insert here - or just give us a link.

This excerpt from your other post makes me wonder, tho...?
....(other than the funky tin thingy), but I don't know what will come of it as demand is not that high. Current condx at Rock Lake are pretty poor. Its warm and hence, the algae is in bloom. Vis was 10-12' first day and maybe 15' the second.
That really sounds like Perch Lake just south of town and barely off the paved road to Puerto de Luna. If you dived Rock Lake, tho - cool. How deep did you go...?

He suggests that all who are interested in upcoming events, changes, etc, sent him an email at rdelgado@srnm.org to get on an email list. I just did.

He also advises that Debra Butler of Butler Quarter Horses has own Rock Lake and the ranch for around 5 years, and that it has not sold...?!

:confused:

Question: Is Rock Lake off of Hiway 54 - halfway to Vaughn..?.?

Hey Don, So you started the rumor, and now the rumor is finished! :lol:

Well it's fun, and interesting getting perspective and speculation on the whole Blue Hole thing.... So far I'm sure they have spent a boat load of $$$$, and other than putting up some barriers, and digging some holes on the bottom, damn if I can see any REAL progress?

At this point I'd welcome an area for Stella that was not full of mud, and a hot dog stand! :D

RonFrank:

Well it's fun, and interesting getting perspective and speculation on the whole Blue Hole thing.... So far I'm sure they have spent a boat load of $$$$, and other than putting up some barriers, and digging some holes on the bottom, damn if I can see any REAL progress?

At this point I'd welcome an area for Stella that was not full of mud, and a hot dog stand! :D

Actually a diveshop that we (don and myself) use started it. They told me back in June that the lake was selling, but didn't know to whom. I had been trying to find people the last couple months who knew anything about it. I talked to a guy a couple weekends ago who said that he talked to a city employee that said santa rosa was in the process of purchasing the land that rock lake was on. He also said that they were going to be breaking ground this next month for the new dive center. We'll see what really happens. I'll be calling my lds today to see if they can contact ladyhawk to see if we can get permission to dive rock lake this next month to finish my class. :)

Stella did say that the lake was supposedly going to sell a couple years ago, but the deal fell through when the purchasers tried to low ball ladyhawk.

Also, according to the marketing study, when santa rosa builds the new dive center they are going to put the management of the dive center out for bid. Hopefully Stella doesn't lose out on that.

RonFrank:

Me, start a rumor?! :11: Yeah, Amascuba and I are hearing reports from a Lubbock shop. I called Rachelle today, and she says they saw on the net where the ranch had sold...?

So, it seems to me that we have conflicting reports from good sources - no answers.

Again, to get to Rock Lake, is it on the Vaughn Hiway #54 about halfway to Vaughn...? :confused:

DandyDon:
Again, to get to Rock Lake, is it on the Vaughn Hiway #54 about halfway to Vaughn...? :confused:

I believe it's off 54, but only a couple miles south of santa rosa.

amascuba:
Also, according to the marketing study, when santa rosa builds the new dive center they are going to put the management of the dive center out for bid. Hopefully Stella doesn't lose out on that.

I'm not really clear what Stella's role is in as far as profit. She has said she is a volenteer. I can not imagine she makes nothing off the work she puts in. I know it's not real tough, but I have a feeling she owns those tanks, and she is making $$$ from every fill and rental. BTW, now the cost of renting a tank, and filling a tank is BOTH $5. So if you are planning on using AL80's, I'd bring along a few if you have them just in case, but just rent from Stella unless you are getting free fills at your LDS.

I spoke with Stella about her role in the new place, and she was obviously unclear about what she would be doing, or how it would all play out. She may know more than she is saying, but I kinda doubt it.

My biggest concern about all this is what R they going to do once all this is done? Will it cost $25 a day to dive? Will they start charging for parking?

Frankly (and I am that! :D ) I could care less about improving the whole thing. I go there to dive, and if the bathrooms are not clean, and the LDS is falling apart I could care less as long as it remains reasonable to dive there (cost), and I can get air fills.

If the price for a pass jumps 300%, and air fills jump 300%, I'll be less inclined to make the long drive.... Let's be real, they are NOT going to improve the diving, and attracting more visitors would have the opposite impact.

So Rock Lake in Santa Rosa has not been sold... yaaaaaaaa !!!

If the City of Santa Rosa bought Rock Lake...

1) Say good bye to all the little turtles that live there.
2) Say good bye to all the fresh water sponges.
3) Say good bye to the all the big and little fish ...
4) Say good bye to all the calm quiet surface intervals w/ the stinky cows mewing.
5) Say hello to all the deaths and bent divers to come...
6) Say hello to all the stupid people writing their names on everything
including the walls.

Rock Lake is not a place for new OW divers.. period.

The lake is darker then blue hole as you get down..
ever wondered were the buggy man lives? :)
Its black.

The floor being at 285 feet @ 5000+ ft.

The silt on the bottom is more then your arms length deep
in places.

I have been diving Rock Lake for about 4 years.. I have been to the bottom
more then a few times..

This site instills the very word of serenity.

Rock Lake should remain private.. and not be destroyed.

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom