Who bought Rock Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm told that the ranch recently sold, and my Inst cannot obtain entry permission for now. Southwest Aqua Sports in Lubbock wants to sponsor some dives there, I wanta dive it, but we don't know who to contact...???

Interesting! I knew that Ladyhawk had it for sale and the last time the sale fell through. Hopefully, it will be someone friendly to divers.

Scuttlebut update:

Talked to James (amascuba) yesterday at Blue Hole and he mentioned talking to a Santa Rosa City employee that said the city was buying Rock. If that happens, it might look very good for divers!!:D

ABQdiver:
Scuttlebut update:

Talked to James (amascuba) yesterday at Blue Hole and he mentioned talking to a Santa Rosa City employee that said the city was buying Rock. If that happens, it might look very good for divers!!:D
Oh really now?! That would be a good idea, and they got the bucks coming in on the grants. But then, they can't even clean bathrooms at Blue Hole - what would make them think they can manage this?

DandyDon:
Oh really now?! That would be a good idea, and they got the bucks coming in on the grants. But then, they can't even clean bathrooms at Blue Hole - what would make them think they can manage this?

:confused: Good question, but the idea does have interesting side effects.

Actually talked to an instructor from El Paso, who was doing a rescue class at perch lake on Saturday, and he said he was talking to a city employee that mentioned that the city of Santa Rosa was in the process of purchasing Rock Lake. He basically said that Santa Rosa want's to turn the area into some of the best diving in the southwest area. I asked Stella if she knew anything, but she wasn't aware of anything. Anybody here know any city employee's at Santa Rosa that can give us a scoop?

It would be really cool if Santa Rosa did this and turned the area lakes into dive attractions, but they are going to have to get their a-game together and hire somebody to take moneys for permits so that they can maintain the area dive sites. I also wondered about how Santa Rosa was going to handle the liability factor of Rock Lake. That's some serious diving with potential dangers to untrained divers.

There may be something to it or it may all be fluff. I did happen to see an article in the Santa Rosa news paper on Saturday, at the hotel, that a NM senator visited Santa Rosa to see the work that's been done to the BH and have a pow wow with the big wigs. You never know what they may have up their sleeve.

Anyway's, me so tired. Worked an OW and AOW class in three day's plus mapping the bottom of BH.

ABQDiver - You should have seen how narced I was trying to untie the reel from the grate and I was even using 32%. Apparently my buddy got a kick out of it. Hopefully we didn't muck up the bottom too much. I'll blame it on Burt's group from Sandia w/ their DPV on Saturday. :)

amascuba:
Actually talked to an instructor from El Paso, who was doing a rescue class at perch lake on Saturday, and he said he was talking to a city employee that mentioned that the city of Santa Rosa was in the process of purchasing Rock Lake. He basically said that Santa Rosa want's to turn the area into some of the best diving in the southwest area. I asked Stella if she knew anything, but she wasn't aware of anything. Anybody here know any city employee's at Santa Rosa that can give us a scoop?

It would be really cool if Santa Rosa did this and turned the area lakes into dive attractions, but they are going to have to get their a-game together and hire somebody to take moneys for permits so that they can maintain the area dive sites. I also wondered about how Santa Rosa was going to handle the liability factor of Rock Lake. That's some serious diving with potential dangers to untrained divers.

There may be something to it or it may all be fluff. I did happen to see an article in the Santa Rosa news paper on Saturday, at the hotel, that a NM senator visited Santa Rosa to see the work that's been done to the BH and have a pow wow with the big wigs. You never know what they may have up their sleeve.

Anyway's, me so tired. Worked an OW and AOW class in three day's plus mapping the bottom of BH.

ABQDiver - You should have seen how narced I was trying to untie the reel from the grate and I was even using 32%. Apparently my buddy got a kick out of it. Hopefully we didn't muck up the bottom too much. I'll blame it on Burt's group from Sandia w/ their DPV on Saturday.:)

I think it was them, NOT good.......:shakehead

ABQdiver:
I think it was them, NOT good.......:shakehead

I'm sure Jim and I made our share of the mess. Especially in the northwest section of the hole as there is still an abundant amount of silt that is at least 6 inches thick.

DandyDon:

Why not? Look at Perch. Dirt road, porta-potty, beer cans and trash everywhere. I imagine they will "manage" rock the same as Perch. The only reason that the BH has been built up is because all the locals like to go swimming there! :shakehead

Even so, I like the idea. I haven't dove rock, but have wanted to. But being a single person, it's kinda hard I hear. Been told you have to have a group and have to have AOW (don't even get me started :light: ) to get on the place. So, opening it up to more divers is good. Plus, it could make it more feasible to go out there. With only the BH (crowded) and Perch (shallow and trashy) I would like to see some place to make some REAL dives.

FD

fire_diver:
With only the BH (crowded) and Perch (shallow and trashy) I would like to see some place to make some REAL dives.
FD

My only concern with this is you will have some people straight out of open water, or drastically less experience than yourself that will have the same idea and will end up killing themselves. When this happens I fear that Rock Lake will close it's doors to all divers. I have not been to Rock Lake yet, I am supposed to go soon if everything works out. We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks. From what I understand though it's not a dive that people who can't control their buoyancy, or do not understand the dangers of deep diving should be making

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom