Whizzing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you drink more waste drinks (coffee, soda, sweet tea, diet soda, soft drinks, alcoholic beverages etc.) than you do plain water you will pee more because there is literally no hydration to be had whatsoever from any of these drinks.

Whereas, if you drink water, your body absorbs this water and uses it to hydrate your muscles and perform needed body functions. You will pee more often if you are well hydrated, mainly because there is a constant "flushing out" of contaminants and waste due to high consumption of water. This will make your piss cloudy at first due to the initial flushing effects of drinking lots of water, but eventually your urine will become and stay clear.

Anyways, I work out regularly. In order to compensate for fluids I will lose during a lift or workout, I drink 1 liter of Smart Water (I like the taste, as well as the added benefits of the electrolytes that are in it- I feel more energized after drinking a bottle) and a Gatorade (gives loads of electrolytes and dextrose, both playing a vital role in muscle hydration and energy)

STAY HYDRATED and you will be healthier. And stop drinking junk drinks. Water and Gatorade. Your body will thank you for it.

And the reason you pee after snorkeling/diving was mentioned earlier. Immersion diuresis

Sorry. The fluid content of coffee, soda, tea, soft drinks, and alcohol is the same as water. The difference is the solute content - ie, what is also dissolved in the water. You are confusing hydration - drinking fluids, with diuresis - peeing water. The technical term (I know, my family calls me a nerd) is water balance. In drinking water you have a postive water balance. When you drink fluids with a diuretic property you may incur a negative balance - you may urinate more fluid than you drank. Keep in mind, however, this is often very subtle. The amount of diuresis from coffee and the like is minimal. You notice the diuretic effect because the caffeine makes you pee, so you will have to go to the bathroom sooner than if you drank plain water.

Gatorade is no better or worse than juice. It contains a fair amount of sugar. You may believe it is better for sports and perfomance in hydration but that is a marketing gimmick. But, you are correct in that plain water is the best for hydration. And yes, you body will thank you for it.

I read that coconut water is one of the best hydrating drinks you can do. I also read that in WW2, field medics in the Pacific would actually use it directly in IVs for soldiers after they ran out of the normal solutions they used. And it worked.
My buddy always brings three coconuts on my boat when we go diving. The deck looks like a damn saw mill after he gets done chipping them open. hah. But he's 74 so I tolerate it.

I read that coconut water is one of the best hydrating drinks you can do. I also read that in WW2, field medics in the Pacific would actually use it directly in IVs for soldiers after they ran out of the normal solutions they used. And it worked.
My buddy always brings three coconuts on my boat when we go diving. The deck looks like a damn saw mill after he gets done chipping them open. hah. But he's 74 so I tolerate it.

Real coconut water, that comes from real coconuts not the stuff in bottles at the store, actually has enough nutrients that you can live off the water for several weeks. You do have to be careful though, more than 6 coconuts per day can give you diarrhea. Not good for scuba diving.

As for general hydration, water is still the best but you will get the extra nutrients from the coconuts.

Next time you buddy brings the coconuts on board, wait until after the last dive then ask him to put a little rum in yours!

Gatorade is no better or worse than juice. It contains a fair amount of sugar.....

Also a healthy dose of salt (450mg/liter).

Water, minerals, sugar, salt ..... just what an active, over-heated athlete needs. Not so much for non-sweating divers, I'm thinking.

I am following this with interest. Did you know that when you immerse in water up to your neck, you will be shunting about 700 cc's of blood from the periphery to the core? All this additional core shunting might be considered as "excessive hydration" as far as your heart is concerned and will be sending signals (via hormones) to your kidneys to get rid of it.

In the next few days, I will be having an article up on Immersion Pulmonary Edema that does address some of this. When it goes life, I will supply the link to those interested.

Cheers,

Claudia

I am following this with interest. Did you know that when you immerse in water up to your neck, you will be shunting about 700 cc's of blood from the periphery to the core? All this additional core shunting might be considered as "excessive hydration" as far as your heart is concerned and will be sending signals (via hormones) to your kidneys to get rid of it.

Is this about temperature, or about pressure? (I got no idea about whether our body's water content is positive negative or neutral in seawater.)

Your body gets "squeezed" when submerged. This, by the way, does not change with increases in depth and blood gets shunted from the periphery to the central core.

I am glad you questioned the temperature issue, because our bodies also shunt blood from periphery to core when submerged (1) and when the submersion of liquid is cold. However, if any additional blood gets shunted to core, it is minor. The major effect is via immersion.

Thank you for a most excellent question!

Claudia

My life story (nothing to do with diving or age--must go every 1/2 hr. --1 hr.), having a super sensitive bladder (I take pills). If you're diving wet (no pun intended!), you can make your own external catheter (I assume you're male by your username). Need the proper flexibility on the hose (not too weak or stiff) and water proof tape. Doesn't work in water (of any depth) but you can go just before entry (AFTER gearing up) and right after exiting water. Works MOST of the time. Won't get into results when it doesn't work...) See your Dr. and maybe get those pills (Oxybutinen). I see you are in FL-- What's the problem??? Just wear a shortie, body suit or bathing suit -- there's always a way without peeing your suit, unless it is a thick one with pants.

Or go with a long hose exiting the leg cuff, works great in mocderate water temps. In very cold water it does make for a noticable water enty path. It is awesome to end a day of wet diving frsh as a daisy.

Your body gets "squeezed" when submerged. This, by the way, does not change with increases in depth and blood gets shunted from the periphery to the central core.

I am glad you questioned the temperature issue, because our bodies also shunt blood from periphery to core when submerged (1) and when the submersion of liquid is cold. However, if any additional blood gets shunted to core, it is minor. The major effect is via immersion.

I am trying to work this out. Obviously we are undergoing exposure to pressure, but what makes the pressure result in blood going to the core? The core is also undergoing compression as well right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom