Whites Fusion Drysuit - are they tough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to be in the market for a new suit soon. I'm really torn between the CLX 450 and the Fusion. Curious to know who's using these in cold water.

TS&M, I'm guessing the Puge isn't exactly tropical. Did your thermals change much?

I'm using one in the Great Lakes and on ice dives. I bought it with the Mk2 undies, and have just ordered the Mk3's. I borrowed a pair of Pinnacle cold water undies from a friend, and used them under the Fusion in 46 degree water, and wasn't just comfortable, I was warm. It's going to be like any shell suit, the right undergarments will make or break it's comfort level.

Jim

I'm going to shortly be getting my first drysuit as well and this Fusion is the leader on the toteboard right now! I, too, am curious about cold water diving aspects of it. In local lakes, even in July below the thermocline the water temps are mid 40's best case and that's at about 30'.

Thanks!

Jimmer - looks like you posted while I was posting my question - thanks for the answer!

I've also read that it can be a bit of a pain to get in to, but I've also read that it's super easy. I wrestle until I'm sweaty (even in 60 degree weather) getting into my 7mm farmer john so I'm used to a bit of a struggle - how's the Fusion to get on, especially with an undergarment?

By drysuit standards, it's not the easiest, but you learn a "system" that works for you, and you get used to it. It'll be easier than a snug 7mm tho.

We've been wearing ours in Lake Tahoe - the "dream scene" in Endless Scooter 2 - which makes it down to 39 degrees F (4 degrees C) in the winter.

I use the Mk2 undies above 55 degrees F (13 degrees C), and switch to the Mk3's below 55 degrees. The MK3 undies have been great, even at 39 degrees, and I'm a cold weanie.

All the best, James

It's a shell suit, so how warm you are depends on your undergarments. I've been using the MK3 from White's and I really like it, but I did have to add a couple of pounds when I switched to it. I use it now with 4th Element dry base underneath it, and I'm doing really well as the water temperature here is dropping.

As far as tech skin goes, I have the original Lycra and use X-shorts over the suit. The lycra seems amazingly durable, even given that I cave dive and that involves crawling around on limestone on entry and exit from time to time.

I just finished my 46th Fusion dive with lycra skin. Mk3 undergarments. 46F below the thermocline. 45 minutes at 85 feet, warm warm except for my wet hands, which were fair.

Another added benefit to the fusion is that, due to the increased mobility, I don't find myself having to crawl down rocky shore entries or down blocks like in other suits: I just walk as if I'm wearing hiking gear and a heavy backpack. There is, therefore, a lot less risk to the suit. But if I have to throw a knee down or scramble I do not hesitate!

I find it easier to put my fusion on and take it off than a properly fitting cold water wetsuit, and it's easier than most drysuits due to the flexibility, self entry, and drysock/rock boot combo.

YMMV, and don't listen to me too much become I have come a minister in the Church of the Fusion! This suit rocks.

VI

Hi, everyone:)
What is the best place to buy Fusion online ?
Thank you very much.
Del

What happened to the knee pads that had the bear? I have them on my old tri-lam, and I love the look.

What is the best place to buy Fusion online ?

I know Mike at Dive Right In Scuba has been selling them, and people have been very happy with his customer service. And his prices have been excellent.

Back
Top Bottom