White Mikly Cloud help ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This weekend while diving at Kettle Cove in Cape Elizabeth, Maine I came upon something I had never seen before. It was in about 10 feet of water at the outer boundary of the eel grass. There was a white cloud perhaps a foot or so long and half as high. When I looked closely it was coming from a small hole in the mud so I figure something was filter feeding or doing something. It all sounds normal enough but I never saw this before. The material being released was white like crushed shells and unlike the natural bottom mud. Can anyone shed any light.

I was diving with my wife but the water temperature wasn't conducive to any of the Tom-foolery suggested in UnderH2OView's earlier thread. :wink:

Also got up close with a little yellow lump fish, that was unusual!

Pete

Last edited:
It might be clam spawn. I saw something similar a couple of years ago in Southern California - a yellow stream shot out from under a rock and formed a cloud right in front of me. Kind of startling. I asked around and people said it was clam spawn.

Back
Top Bottom