Which watch to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-boltfish

Reaction score
I need to buy a Diving Watch, but which one should I go for? Bearing in mind that I'm only 16, I don't want to have to spend more than GBP 200 (EUR 283) if I can help it.

The ones I am considering are

Citizen Aqualand II
Suunto D3

If possible I want an 'elegant' watch that I can wear from day to day as well.

Any advice? Thanks...

Why do you need a diving watch? Spend GBP69 on a scuba bottom timer (link) and use the leftover money to buy yourself a nice regular watch.

I can't imagine fitting any normal watch on over my wrist while I have a drysuit or wetsuit on, and I'd hate to have to look at so small a display when I didn't have to.

Hey, you know that makes sense too. I guess I could do that. But I quite like the idea of having a useful diving watch - it just seems, somehow, more convenient.
I could wear the watch as a backup as well, or instead or having to wear a hulking depth timer.

But thanks, that's something to seriously consider.

-boltfish once bubbled...
I need to buy a Diving Watch, but which one should I go for? Bearing in mind that I'm only 16, I don't want to have to spend more than GBP 200 (EUR 283) if I can help it.

The ones I am considering are

Citizen Aqualand II
Suunto D3

If possible I want an 'elegant' watch that I can wear from day to day as well.

Any advice? Thanks...

If your planning on SCUBA and not just free diving I would have thought that the D3 was out? I thought it was a Free Diving only watch/computer.

Not sure what cost the Mosquito is in the UK but it has many advanced features that can be used for years of recational diving. It all depends on where you plan on going with diving as to what you need.

PS: you could always look out for a second hand computer from your local dive school, when people upgrade they may be happy to sell off the older computer, just a thought.

The D3 is darn near the same price as the Mosquito so you may as well substitute "Mosquito" for the "D3".
That way you can at least have a full function dive computer for just a couple sheckels more.
You can slap a metal band on it if you want to dress it up a tad, make it look a little more like a Stinger.
The Citizen dresses up better though, even if it is a bit harder to read.

I use a cheapo Casio, it seems the cheaper the watch, the harder it is to wreck. :wink:

No, the Mosquito is GBP82 (EUR116) more expensive than the D3 (the D3 being available here for GBP146 (EUR207)

And yes the D3 is also ok for SCUBA:

In Gauge-mode the Suunto D3 provides a bottom timer function for SCUBA diving with own pre-planned tables or for using it as a backup instrument. A dive timer with reset function displays the dive time in minutes and seconds for timing bottom times and decompression stops to the second. A Maximum Operating Depth (MOD) planner helps you determine how deep your gas-mix can be safely breathed

I am leaning towards the Citizen watch...which would make the Mosquito a viable option...anyway

My opinion to you is the same as what the others have told you here. Don't spend your money on an expensive dive watch. It likely won't be stylish on land, although I am far from 16 years old to know what is stylish. If you lose that expensive watch on a dive you will not be a happy camper. A cheap Casio was your best advice. :shades:

Okay, thanks. I wouldn't be bothered if I lost it, that's what insurance is for.

I think I'll sleep on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom