Which regulator is best for both cold and warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay folks I need help...well sort of..

I've been doing my research on regulators (OMG I didn't realize it would take me over a month of research to get through the ones I looked into) and I have finallly come up with the "Short List".

What I would like is your opinions of the individual regs, as well as any practical comparisons (no sales lit please, I've already read most of those...I am looking for actual in water experience) between these.

If anyone can also add differences in maintenance requirements/costs, functional beefs and praises, is appreciated.

I am way too new to all of this to just go on the sales lit, and I have talked with just about every LDS that I could get to in my local region, so now its time to trust the fine folks here.

The criteria are as follows:

Judy and I plan on doing most of our diving locally (in Ontario) and plan to dive in spring, summer and early fall. We also plan on the occasional (once a year) blue water warm diving vacation.

We are purely recreational divers at this time; do not plan (again as of today) on going tech in the near future. (Re: the next 2 to 3 years).

We are looking at potentially getting into Nitrox in the near future. (re summer of 2007)

While we are not looking at buying "the last reg we will ever need" at this time, we are looking for at least five to six years of use out these regs. (Keep in mind that we may go Nitrox in two years, and may go tech, at least DIR-F within this time)

Therefore, here is the short list. Any thoughts?

1) Apeks ATX200 w ATX20 Octo
2) TITAN GLACIA w CALYPSO/TITAN OCTO
3) Sherwood Blizzard w Sherwood Standard Octo

These would be coupled with the Uwatec Mini 2-gauge console.

Have I missed any other regs that should make the short list....(Given the strength of the three mentioned here, please no Genisis submissions...they're simply not in the running for cold water diving.)

Thanks

Apeks is an excellent choice!!
Not the atx 20 though. The atx 20 is a warm water reg. It lacks the heat exchanger,
an Atx 40 or 50 would be a good octo to go with it.

The atx 50 would also be a good choice for your primary. Only the breathing machine can tell the difference.

Between Rec and Tec, i have 7 regs, all Apeks!!

Tavi:
Apeks is an excellent choice!!
Not the atx 20 though. The atx 20 is a warm water reg. It lacks the heat exchanger,
an Atx 40 or 50 would be a good octo to go with it.

The atx 50 would also be a good choice for your primary. Only the breathing machine can tell the difference.

Between Rec and Tec, i have 7 regs, all Apeks!!

Thanks, I tought I had taken the cold water package into account for the octo , but obviously I messed up with the 20...I'll look into the 40 and 50.

Thanks

Im a big fan of the Apeks DS4/ATX50. The extra $ for the 200 is not worth it. (my opinion) You may want to consider using the same 2nd stage for both pri. and sec. regs. It's not a bad idea to swap them out a fiew times a season to keep both in good working order. and it's easier service wise.

MoonWrasse:

Zeagle has many of the features and satisfies many of the requirements that were part of my evaluation, except they failed on one major requirement....no dealer in Ottawa, and no certified dealer in the province of Ontario. (The closest domestic dealer is in Calgary Alberta...at least according to their web site.)

Timely service and reapir was one of the "non-performance" based criteria (these were not listed above) . The manufacturer has to have a local dealer and service rep. It's not fair to all, but it is one of my requirements. This should in no way reflect negativey with their product, they just failed on this one major criteria.

Another vote for the DS4/ATX50 combo. Fine regs that do great in cold water and can withstand the rigors of warm salty water.

Rachel

I have an ATX200 and love it. If I were purchasing again, I would go with the ATX50 w/DS4 though. Less money and the same breathing performance.

biscuit7:
Another vote for the DS4/ATX50 combo. Fine regs that do great in cold water and can withstand the rigors of warm salty water.

Rachel

One of the more experienced divers on my local board has mentioned the DS4/ATX40/50 combo. I guess I'll have to go back and look at my notes on Apeks again. I did notie that that the ATX200 appears to have a sorter frsit stage, and taht would allow my wife to move her tank forwad more without hitting her head...she needs to be able to get the tank forward a bit more to help her trim out.

Thanks all...keep them coming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom