which regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scooba doo

Registered
Reaction score
i am looking into buying my first regs. im looking into the aqua lung legend/legend lx, and the scuba pro s600. i have heard nothing but great things about both of them. but i want to make sure i get the right reg for what im diving in. i live in michigan, so i will do some diving here, mainly spring summer diving, so nothing frigid(50-70F). also i will be doing some diving in warmer places, i.e., the keys, caribbean... i want something that is easily serviced. not looking to spend a fortune on something titanium, just something that is good for the money and is an easy breather. thanks

dan

p.s. also hearing good things about apex and conshelf, anymore information is appreciated.

I dive the ScubaPro Mark 25 first stage (brass, not alloy or titanium) with the S600 second stage and couldn't be happier. It breathes easy, dry and delivers all the air I need regardless of depth, body position and tank pressure. Prior to this I had (and still use) the ScubaPro Mark 20/G250. I saw no reason to change from ScubaPro to another brand. However, I think if you choose a name brand high performing regulator you won't go wrong.

..it depends, where do you live. If you live on a cool region I recommend :

-Apeks ATX 100 (no leaks forever)
-Aqualung Legend LX Supreme (no leaks forever)

These regs are very safety about freezing. But if you are diving in the caribic then you can use Scubapro AF25. This reg is not very safety. In Germany there were a lot of accidents with this reg. EN250 Norm??? I doubt it.

:wink:

@gtimm

only as Info:

http://www.taucher.net/forum/Scubapro_MK20_-_Beinaheunfall_equip7692.html

scooba doo:
Ii live in michigan, so i will do some diving here, mainly spring summer diving, so nothing frigid(50-70F).

Keep in mind that you won't need to go down terribly far in fresh water to fo from 70F to the low 40s, even in the summertime. At least here in Maine that is the case and you are at a similar lattitude. I've seen 42F in lakes and quarries at the height of summer, let alone in the swing seasons. As you pass through the low 40s you begin to want a true cold water regulator.

Pete

I use Sherwood Maximus/Shadow+/Octo. They're popular where I live, cold water, also fine in warm.

I'll do the usual -- have you checked with your LDS, other divers you know locally? It's nice to get service :)

(In other words, I'm extremely content with my Sherwoods, but if I was in a place where my LDS just plain didn't sell/service them, I would probably buy a different brand. I want my life support stuff serviced by people who work on them regularly, and it's nice to be able to pop in and just ask random questions.))

i actually talked to a one of my lds yesterday. he told me what he uses is, and highly recommends is the atomic B2. he said its very similar to the s600, but its insides are all titanium, and its easy to maintain. he also said the legend lx is very good, but most people dont like the first stage on it. but he just told me i could flip upside down to fix the problem

dan

Living close to the Great Lakes puts you at considerable risk of becoming hooked on cold water wreck diving in which case you will need a good cold performance regulator. Even in the summer months you can hit water in the 30's at depth. Apeks DS4/ATX50 is very popular in the Lake Ontario Area. Make sure it is Nitrox compatible.

My family (son and girlfriend) all use Sherwood Blizzards with Blizzard octo. The dive team I belong to uses Conshelf and some older Dacor, but the Blizzard is by far the most popular. Easy to use and maintain, very tough! Our LDS staff all use Sherwood (mostly maximus) and all of their rental gear is Sherwood. As for warmer water diving in the summer... Whats that??? Middle of August and have had surface temps of 50! The only warm water in the Northeast is in your bathtub!

hey scubadoo.
i m actually getting my first regulators as well and my options are exactly like yours too, also thinking about the conshelf, but its not in stock at my LDS.
i have done a fair bit of research on both regs and they are both top-of-the-line ones that would guarantee you quality breathing, but i think the atomic B2 would not be necesseryif you are not going to do much travelling cuse' the titanium is much lighter and hell of a lot more expensive.
i reckon both legend lx and s600 would do a great job in cold water as well. you might consider the legend lx supreme if its REALLY cold.
tell me how you go with the purchasing, good luck

cheers
kenny
PS: apeks would be great too.

I have a B2 and really like it. It breaths well at all depths. The Titanium is only in the second stage. The first stage it Brass. Hence the name (B = brass). It has a 2-year service interval and lifetime warranty. If it is in your price range and you LDS can serice it then you wouldn't go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom