Which plate to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utdivermatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought a RecWing, and am planning to buy a plate to go with it. I have settled on the Hammerhead plates, but I am trying to find out how much weight I actually want on the plate, and if it is possible to have ditchable weights. I use 12 pounds right now diving with a Seaquest Balance in my wetsuit. The Hammerhead plates can be either Aluminum or SS, and I am really debating between the two. I can get a SS plate that weighs 5lbs 6oz, or the al that weighs 1lb 13 oz. The STAs are either one or two piece, and weigh 2lbs 1 oz or 5 lbs 3 oz respectively. I can get either STA with either backplate, and still am not quite sure what I should do. I like the idea of the lighter plate with the heavier STA, but didnt know if that would cause problems. I already have a couple of XS Scuba pouches, so its not a problem if I need to put some weight on the harness. In fact, I almost want to in order to have some ditchable weight. Any thoughts?

utdivermatt:
I just bought a RecWing, and am planning to buy a plate to go with it. I have settled on the Hammerhead plates, but I am trying to find out how much weight I actually want on the plate, and if it is possible to have ditchable weights. I use 12 pounds right now diving with a Seaquest Balance in my wetsuit. The Hammerhead plates can be either Aluminum or SS, and I am really debating between the two. I can get a SS plate that weighs 5lbs 6oz, or the al that weighs 1lb 13 oz. The STAs are either one or two piece, and weigh 2lbs 1 oz or 5 lbs 3 oz respectively. I can get either STA with either backplate, and still am not quite sure what I should do. I like the idea of the lighter plate with the heavier STA, but didnt know if that would cause problems. I already have a couple of XS Scuba pouches, so its not a problem if I need to put some weight on the harness. In fact, I almost want to in order to have some ditchable weight. Any thoughts?

Matt,

Remember in your weighting calc's that your current BC is likely 3-5 lbs positive. You can easily test this by just throwing your bc in the pool and adding weight until it sinks.

Let's just say your jacket is 4 lbs positive. That means you need 12-4 lbs = 8 lbs.

With a 5-6 lbs plate and 2 Sta you might need no other weight.

If you want ditchable ballast go with the lighter plate.

Tobin

I'm not sure where you are diving, what you wear for thermal protection or your body fat percentage, but this is what I have found:

I'm 5'9" 150 lbs. I was diving in fresh water with a 3 ml wetsuit and the hammerhead stainless with the two piece sta for a total of 7 lbs. I did not need weights. I am guessing that I might need 4 lbs extra were I to dive in salt water with my same wetsuit.

I'd definately get the stainless as it allows you to distribute quite a bit of weight along your back as opposed to on your belt.

I didnt think abotu it on the original post, but the 12 lbs is with a 5 mil suit. I actually just bought a 7/5 suit, so I assume I will need a little more weight added now. Is there any reason not to just get the SS with the heavy STA? I hear alot of praise for getting the weight off you back, but I figure all of it is worthless if I am overweighted. Ditchable weight is not too important to me, but with my Balance I tend to roll on my back if all the weight is in the back, where with just a little in the front I do fine. I plan to use it mostly in freshwater, but I am sure it will get the occasional dumping in salt water (whenever I get to the ocean). Thanks for any help!

utdivermatt:
I didnt think abotu it on the original post, but the 12 lbs is with a 5 mil suit. I actually just bought a 7/5 suit, so I assume I will need a little more weight added now. Is there any reason not to just get the SS with the heavy STA? I hear alot of praise for getting the weight off you back, but I figure all of it is worthless if I am overweighted. Ditchable weight is not too important to me, but with my Balance I tend to roll on my back if all the weight is in the back, where with just a little in the front I do fine. I plan to use it mostly in freshwater, but I am sure it will get the occasional dumping in salt water (whenever I get to the ocean). Thanks for any help!

With new, heavier wetsuit you will need more weight.

Unfortunately it's near impossible to predict where that weight is best worn. Many variables. Tank type, body type, fins used etc. etc.

My standard advice is to get the backplate set up and first determine your total weighting. Once you know exactly how much weight you need you can try moving some or all of this weight around on your person or rig.

Some soft weights and sip ties, or ankle weights make handy temporary weights for playing with different trim weighting.

If you find you benefit from more weight up over over your lungs, a heavier sta may be the anwser. OTOH you may find all the extra weight you need can be carried in a belt.

The bottom line is you need to try it out to really know.

Tobin

Your tank selection should also come into play. Look at the charts for the tanks you use and let that guide you in your selection as well. If your tank is negative when empty that will be less lead or plate weight you will have to carry.

Brent

cool_hardware52:
With new, heavier wetsuit you will need more weight.

Unfortunately it's near impossible to predict where that weight is best worn. Many variables. Tank type, body type, fins used etc. etc.

My standard advice is to get the backplate set up and first determine your total weighting. Once you know exactly how much weight you need you can try moving some or all of this weight around on your person or rig.

Some soft weights and sip ties, or ankle weights make handy temporary weights for playing with different trim weighting.

If you find you benefit from more weight up over over your lungs, a heavier sta may be the anwser. OTOH you may find all the extra weight you need can be carried in a belt.

The bottom line is you need to try it out to really know.

Tobin

I own no tank. I pretty much use whatever is out there to rent, which usually means al80s, even though I have rented a few steel tanks.

That's no problem then you just set your rig up based on an aluminum tank.

utdivermatt:
I own no tank. I pretty much use whatever is out there to rent, which usually means al80s, even though I have rented a few steel tanks.

I recently went through the same thing. I ended up with the Stainless Plate & the heavier STA (also hammerhead products). I just went to the keys, and dove the backplate without the STA. With AL 80, I added 4 pounds using a 3 mil shorty. When I used steel tanks from another operation, I used only the backplate. When I need to use a heavier exposure suit, I'll add the STA.

I don't think you can go wrong with the backplate setup. It will just take a few dives with the differant configurations to get you weight dialed in.

PS Go Hogs!

Go hogs? Boo. Not that I can say much after this season.

What I am thinking I am going to go with is an aluminum plate and the heavy STA (suposing I can get them to sell it that way). I figure since I use such little weight now, with my current setup, and I plan to get into tech diving with this rig (with heavier steel tanks), I want to be sure I wont be overweighted before I get started. Any more reasons not to go this route? Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom