Which plate to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just get the SS plate. The only time people really use Aluminum plates is they're diving with super-thin wetsuits, or no wetsuits, in the tropics. You're not going to be overweighted with a SS bp/w and a 7/5 suit. End of story.

If you get the SS backplate with the light STA, you'll still have the same weight as the AL with the heavy STA. I'd go with the SS plate. As mentioned by Compudude, you won't be overweighted with this rig. Plus, you can always go without the STA. That's the way I use mine unless I go with the full heavy wetsuit. If you go without the STA, be aware that some wings may be a problem. The Oxycheq wings have large cam band slots so they work with all backplates. I think diverite does also. The apex wing does have a problem with the hammerhead unless you use the STA. Then the cam band slots in the wing aren't used.

Ok, I am still looking around and hoped someone could answer another question (even though I am hijacking my thread). I have a friend who has a bp/w setup, and she is a pretty small girl. She was hoping to maybe trade me her plate if I bought one of the plates that they actually have a small size plate. I know DSS does this, but does anyone else? If I could help her it would make me feel better about paying extra for a better plate, but I would like to find the small plate in aluminum if possible. Anyone seen some around? Thanks!

-Matt

FredT does, not sure who else. You have something against the DSS ones?

utdivermatt:
Ok, I am still looking around and hoped someone could answer another question (even though I am hijacking my thread). I have a friend who has a bp/w setup, and she is a pretty small girl. She was hoping to maybe trade me her plate if I bought one of the plates that they actually have a small size plate. I know DSS does this, but does anyone else? If I could help her it would make me feel better about paying extra for a better plate, but I would like to find the small plate in aluminum if possible. Anyone seen some around? Thanks!

-Matt

Matt,

We make all three sizes of our plate S, M, L in both SS and the light weight Kydex Hybrid.

Regards,

Tobin

I've found 3 that make small plates, DSS, FredT and TheKraken (for SB members only) here on the board. Prices vary quite a bit, as do features/finish. All three make Small, Medium and Large in SS and Aluminum (Kydex Hybrid for DSS)

FWIW http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/bpwing.html has a list of all plate manufacturers I've been able to find, and the types of plates they make.

Aloha, Tim

WOW kidspot. I've never seen so much info about BPs. Thanks for the info.

I agree with BSea... that is amazing kidspot. I dont have time to look over it all until later tonight, but took a quick glance and cant say how impressed I am. I wish I had seen that before... it is a great resourse and saves tons of time looking at websites. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom