Which Paddle Fin Do You Use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Mares Quattros and love them. I barely kick underwater though, I prefer just gliding :)

The only problem I have with them is on the surface. I also have a pair of Mares Avanti Tre which is the full foot fin and I find them easier to use on the surface because they are not as stiff as the Quattro.

My solution: as soon as I jump in the water I descend straight away and I also come up right at the stairs of the boat so I don't have to kick on the surface. So much easier :D

What kind of paddle fins do you use and why? I live near Monterey and I plan on going diving a LOT in the Monterey area so I want to make sure I get the right fin that I will be happy with.
I use the old style U.S. Divers/Aqualung Blades fins with spring straps. Had them 11 years now and going strong. I tend to be leg heavy and Jets were too negative. The Blades generate plenty of power. They are a bit long and can cause cramps in cold water (at least they did for me).

Can't say how much changed the new Blades are. If I was going to look at new paddle fins, I'd check out the OMS Slipstream. A lighter version of Jets.

Edit: I used a pair of Atomic Splitfins when I still dove cold water, due to the occasional cramping issue. Of all the splits I tried, they were the only ones that did not feel goofy. Can't achieve the precision in positioning I can with the Blades, but no cramping and they work *almost* as well. Think they are about the stiffest split.

I have a few pairs of fins and love and use all three:

Turtles when in my drysuit
Tusa Xpert zoom splits for fun
Mares Volo open heel (I think the power)

What works for one person wont work for someone else. I found people laugh when I put on my turtles then take off my drysut, put on my wetsuit and grab a pair if splits.

I tried many pairs of fins. I have a basement full of them that I don't use anymore because they never worked for me.

If buckles are hurting your fingers, get spring straps. Solves the problem.

I dive Jets, but would like to try slipstreams. I tend to trim out feet heavy, that may be enough of a change to fix it.

Mares Avanti Quattros for warm water, standard ScubaPro Jets with my drysuit. I've had & loved the Quattros for years, but when I got my drysuit last year, the boots were too big for them. The negative bouyancy of the Jets really helps with trimming out the drysuit. I don't want or need the extra foot weight in warmer water.

Cheers,

for the OMS slipstream users: do you use them with Dry suit or wetsuit?

yes!

both.

I used to use turtles but prefer the slips, ligher, crisper with more feel.

I agree with borg queen, get a set of spring straps, they're great, plus Mares buckle system is an over-engineered piece of doo doo as far as I am concerned,

Back
Top Bottom