Which Paddle Fin Do You Use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterFox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Recently certified diver and I'm looking to buy a set of fins, and I'm overwhelmed! I've tried out a couple different styles in the pool, but there are just so many more out there.

Definitely want the paddle fin style (except not Jet Fins, didn't like those). I don't care for split fins. I did like the heaviness of the Mares Avanti Quattros, but they felt a little stiff and I hurt my fingers trying to undo the buckles.

What kind of paddle fins do you use and why? I live near Monterey and I plan on going diving a LOT in the Monterey area so I want to make sure I get the right fin that I will be happy with. Just thought I would get some input from more experienced divers before making a decision. Thanks!

What type of kick were you using for the Jets? They work best when a kick and glide type kick is used, like the frog.

I like them because

Great for all the kicks I do:
  • back kick
  • helicopter turn
  • frog kick
  • modified flutter
Negative buoyancy
Relatively cheap
Sturdy

What type of kick were you using for the Jets?

For now my preference is just a simple flutter kick. Who knows, maybe I will prefer the frog kick when I get more experience.

It's not a kick you need experience to start using, just start using it. Jets will definately put the hurt on you if you are doing a straight flutter kick.

Something I see a lot with new divers is their use of forward motion to control depth. If they stop kicking, they sink.. Once buoyancy is dialed in, kicking is only required for movement and leg fatigue is less an issue.

For forward motion, split fins are the most efficient.

Here's a vote for the OMS Slipstreams... same as a jetfin except light!

I'm with ya! Also, the Tusa XPert Zoom split is another I use and really like

I use Cressi Reactions for travel as they are light weight and fin very well. I use the Omega Flip fin for local shore diving. I also plan on getting the Atomic Smokes splits as I have heard many great endorsements from those who actually use them.

as far as paddles go, The Mares Avanti Quattros are about as good as they get. Their is another option that is similar to a paddle is the Forcefins. they are lightwieght, easy to kick, give you all the propulsion you will ever want.

My favorite fin, split or paddle is the original US Divers blades. Not the blades 2. I have Jets and splits.
If I could only have 1 pair, it would be the blades.
Mares Quatros are supposed to be almost as good :), but the USD blades are lighter and positive at least in salt water.

Ebay has a few. $50.00 range.

Attachments

• fin2 001.JPG
    fin2 001.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 78
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom