Which organization did you obtain your first certification?

Which organization did you obtain your first certification?

• BSAC (Ocean Diver)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • CMAS (1* star)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • NAUI (Scuba Diver)

Votes: 41 15.6%
  • PADI (Open Water Diver)

Votes: 149 56.7%
  • SSI (Open Water Diver)

Votes: 27 10.3%
  • YMCA (Open Water Diver)

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • Others

Votes: 25 9.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI was who i learned through way back when. Ok course but bad follow up. I never did a single dive out of my openwater with the store i learnt with. Says a lot for friendly service with a smile.

Yours Truly,
Carl Fallon

NAUI, but I had to click "other" because I got my OW and nitrox together. Never got an OW card, just a Nitrox card. :wink:

Another NASDS, 1971, age 13. First breath underwater was on a Voit Dbl Hose.

Sheesh, I'm old...

drbill:
How about the one from which many of the others (NAUI, PADI) began... Los Angeles County? They still run some of the finest cert classes around.

Certified Los Angeles County Basic.

drbill:
How about the one from which many of the others (NAUI, PADI) began... Los Angeles County? They still run some of the finest cert classes around.

L.A County doesn't offer an OW program like they do with ADP or UICC. They do have an openwater cert. and an intermediate cert. but you have to find an L.A county instructor willing to certify you. There are some, but it takes a litle bit of work to find out about them. However if you are luck enough to live in L.A it is well worth the extra work to get it.

PADI - Basic Scuba (1977). It was basically the same class as the current open water (but the instructors were alowed to hastle you by ripping your fins and mask of to "toughen you up"). You only had to do 2 dives for the cert. If you wanted an Open Water cert you did 2 more dives with an instructor. (Some destinations would not accept a Basic Scuba cert without making you do check out dives, so most people went on to get their Open Water.)

somewhereinla:
L.A County doesn't offer an OW program like they do with ADP or UICC. They do have an openwater cert. and an intermediate cert. but you have to find an L.A county instructor willing to certify you. There are some, but it takes a litle bit of work to find out about them. However if you are luck enough to live in L.A it is well worth the extra work to get it.

I wouldn't necessarily say LA County doesn't offer an OW program because it does. It's just that you need to find an instructor who certifies through that program. This isn't really any different than any other agency where you need to find an instructor who will certify you through PADI, NAUI, SSI, XYZ, ABC, etc. It's just that the LA County Basic certification is probably more locally found in southern California and less ubiquitous than the other agencies. You are correct though in that you might have to do a little more legwork to find an instructor who will certify you through the program. I do have to say that it was my instructor versus the agency who made the program so positively beneficial to myself and my wife.

I was first certified in Northern California by NAUI, YMCA, and NASDS (now part of SSI) in 1968. PADI was in its infancy and not offered to my knowledge in the SF Bay Area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom