Which older set of regs to keep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
So I have an old Dacor 900/Pacer combo (no clue on age) and a 90's era(I think) Sherwood Oasis 1st/2nd. I'm planning on doing rebuilds/maintenance on my own for these regs but am torn between which set to keep. I already have 2 sets of mk10/g250's for my main use, but am not against swapping rigs if one is better than another? Just doing rec dives 48* water is the coldest I go. Any suggestions which set to keep and which set to sell? Thanks.

Dacor parts can be difficult to acquire. I would keep the Sherwood.

I would sell them both and buy another MK10/G250 (or BA/109) off ebay with the money. I think it is best if you standardize regulators to keep parts kits and special tools to a minimum. If not, then keep the Sherwood, you can buy the parts off eBay or from NESS.

Thanks guys. It's what I figured, despite the nice durable feeling I get from the Dacor. Not going to get a 3rd SP set, just because I'm fine with the 2 I have and wanted one where I can easily get parts etc and is easy to service on my own.

Thanks guys. It's what I figured, despite the nice durable feeling I get from the Dacor. Not going to get a 3rd SP set, just because I'm fine with the 2 I have and wanted one where I can easily get parts etc and is easy to service on my own.

The parts for the Scubapro can be purchased from Vintage Double Hose.

I agree with one exception. IF the Pacer second stage is a metal XLE version then I would keep it. That is an excellent second stage. I would put it up there with the 109 in performance when properly tuned. If it had an external ajustment knob I would rate it better than the 109.....hummm, I may have a new project.

The plastic ones weren't bad either.
I worked for a company in the BVI where they were the main rental reg.....never had one break or crack in the 4 years I was there.
Cant say the same for any other brand.
They had a novel demand lever with the venturi built in, seemed to work well without having to have to mess with levers.

I agree with one exception. IF the Pacer second stage is a metal XLE version then I would keep it. That is an excellent second stage. I would put it up there with the 109 in performance when properly tuned. If it had an external ajustment knob I would rate it better than the 109.....hummm, I may have a new project.

You just convinced me to keep mine. I got one in excellent condition with a reg I bought.

Thanks for the info. Any way to tell if the 2nd is a XLE version vs a standard?

I would definitely keep the Dacor 900 you can get parts for them without any real difficulty and if you fit the 950 single spring conversion in them they are identical to the 950. You can get parts for them from trident. When they are properly tuned these are one of the best easiest breathing regs ever built If it has XL or XLE seconds then it is a great classic set. I know that when it comes to Dacor Herman is the go to guy but I disagree with him on the XLE, I think they are perfect just the way they are. I think the preoccupation that some people have with adjustment is just because they like to fiddle with knobs, and if your reg is properly tuned then it's well tuned.

Back
Top Bottom