Backup regulator set Sherwood? vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snwwlkr7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Upgrading my gear soon. My heart is set on a Scubapro Mk2/r195 combo to come soon and want to turn my old set into a backup/spare.

That said. My old set is a Sherwood Maximus paired with a older Sherwood Magnum. Ive had both for quite a while, but have had the Magnum longer and theyve never let me down on well over 100 dives salt and fresh.

I also have a Aqualung Titan 1st stage I acquired recently.

So my question is really which one of the first stages is going to have the below criteria. Also regarding the Sherwood 1st, why would a manufacturer put no brand name, model number or anything on it and no there is nothing on the knob either. Im also wanting to service/rebuild/maintain them myself.

Criteria for first stage between Sherwood and Aqualung, and if the Titan is better would it function well with my 2 Sherwood 2nd's. Might ad are there pros or cons of one vs the other? Or are they both junk and get something else lol
1-Reliability
2-parts and information availability
3-ease of service or maintaining

Attachments

• F68E4EAE-21EC-4524-BE08-10F589260CE9_1_201_a.jpeg
    F68E4EAE-21EC-4524-BE08-10F589260CE9_1_201_a.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 71
  • C9F88A3A-0D9D-4FF8-B92C-7FAA65DAAABC_1_201_a.jpeg
    C9F88A3A-0D9D-4FF8-B92C-7FAA65DAAABC_1_201_a.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 812580C7-481A-49AC-A6D6-1C4D48A4D191_1_201_a.jpeg
    812580C7-481A-49AC-A6D6-1C4D48A4D191_1_201_a.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 71
The Sherwood 1st is a 3200, you can find a manual at Service Manuals Sherwood

As I remember, the dry bleed mechanism is no longer made or repIrable for that model. The good news is if it bleeds at the right rate it's good, and one can dive without it functional but it is sub-optimal. If it works use this Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8) to check the regs operation, and the bleed check. Because it is easy for a reg tech to ruin the dry bleed, you need to insure they know what they are doing before handing it to them.

The seconds are drop dead simple and will work, when tuned, with any reg running the same IP range. They are unbalanced, so as long as you have a balanced first they are fine. I have tinker with old regs and mix and match all the time.

I ran my Magnum for over 20 years until it (dry bleed) needed replacement, and a few more before I got a new Sherwood. I still use it on my pony, as it has never failed to provide me air since 1980.

The Titan first stage appears to be an environmentally sealed diaphragm unit. That is the same unit as the Conshelf 14 modernized and has a replaceable volcano orifice. It is a very good first stage and appears to be in good condition and parts are available for it as they are the same inside for the most part as the Core now Helix regulator set.

The Sherwood 1st is a 3200, you can find a manual at Service Manuals Sherwood

As I remember, the dry bleed mechanism is no longer made or repIrable for that model. The good news is if it bleeds at the right rate it's good, and one can dive without it functional but it is sub-optimal. If it works use this Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8) to check the regs operation, and the bleed check. Because it is easy for a reg tech to ruin the dry bleed, you need to insure they know what they are doing before handing it to them.

The seconds are drop dead simple and will work, when tuned, with any reg running the same IP range. They are unbalanced, so as long as you have a balanced first they are fine. I have tinker with old regs and mix and match all the time.

I ran my Magnum for over 20 years until it (dry bleed) needed replacement, and a few more before I got a new Sherwood. I still use it on my pony, as it has never failed to provide me air since 1980.
Thank you very much Bob.. great information and especially the link to the regulator service manual's

NO contest. That vintage Sherwood has the dry bleed filter in the piston. If clogged is almost impossible to clean, and piston must be replaced.. Parts for old Sherwoods can be iffy. But, if it works you can use it until it doesn't. The Titan first stage is an excellent breathing first and parts will be available long into the future.

NO contest. That vintage Sherwood has the dry bleed filter in the piston. If clogged is almost impossible to clean, and piston must be replaced.. Parts for old Sherwoods can be iffy. But, if it works you can use it until it doesn't. The Titan first stage is an excellent breathing first and parts will be available long into the future.
Thanks much. I did not know about the old Sherwood 1st stage dry bleed scenario and the problems of servicing it. Exactly why I was asking.
I’ll retire the old Sherwood it’s been a good one.
Onto the shelf of fame

The 2hp port non ACD Mikron and later Titan are also very nice, they introduce 2 extra O rings but require no special tools to service, stupid simple, slightly better hose routing IMO too.

Back
Top Bottom