Which Key next week- Help for a California Cold Water diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
While I respect Bob's training and all, I strongly disagree. :11: Although some operators there will take an OW to the Grove, I disagree with them, and a diver with but 12 dives has no business diving a wreck laying on its side.

Enjoy the reefs; kelp beds are nice, but you've never seen anything like Molasses. :eyebrow:

Well so far the reasons given that this is an advanced dive is that it's a crowded dive site, it's laying on it's side, it's 130 ft to the sand, and the currents are unpredictatable. All that is true. I NEVER suggested this girl penetrate the Grove, only dive AROUND it. I also suggested she stay ABOVE 60 ft. I also warned her about the current, if the current is too strong, simply call the dive. Is that too hard? If the current isn't too strong, a 60 ft dive on the Grove isn't difficult or a stretch for a OW diver. An OW diver, diving within OW recreational limits, should have no trouble making this dive. :palmtree: Bob

Bob:
Well so far the reasons given that this is an advanced dive is that it's a crowded dive site, it's laying on it's side, it's 130 ft to the sand, and the currents are unpredictatable. All that is true. I NEVER suggested this girl penetrate the Grove, only dive AROUND it. I also suggested she stay ABOVE 60 ft. I also warned her about the current, if the current is too strong, simply call the dive. Is that too hard? If the current isn't too strong, a 60 ft dive on the Grove isn't difficult or a stretch for a OW diver. An OW diver, diving within OW recreational limits, should have no trouble making this dive. :palmtree: Bob

Sorry, Bob, but I'll have to agree with the other guys on this one, having dove the Grove and most of the other upper keys sites. The reefs at Pennekamp and maybe a shallow wreck like the Benwood or City of Washington seem more appropriate for our California friend. Of course, on a perfect day, the Grove would be a spectacular dive for a novice diver, but I haven't see too many of thos perfect days as a diver.

Puffer, here's another weather resource for dive planning. http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/Florida.shtml

If you click on the MLRF1 icon, you'll get very up-to-date info from the Molasses Reef weather station, which is right there at Pennekamp Park in Key Largo.

As far as choosing dive sites goes, you might want to check out this link to the old Florida Conch Divers site. Each site has photos and other useful information:
http://www.conchdivers.com/keys/keysdivesites.htm

Good luck and good diving,
Grier

GrierHPharmD:
Sorry, Bob, but I'll have to agree with the other guys on this one, having dove the Grove and most of the other upper keys sites. The reefs at Pennekamp and maybe a shallow wreck like the Benwood or City of Washington seem more appropriate for our California friend. Of course, on a perfect day, the Grove would be a spectacular dive for a novice diver, but I haven't see too many of thos perfect days as a diver.

Puffer, here's another weather resource for dive planning. http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/Florida.shtml

If you click on the MLRF1 icon, you'll get very up-to-date info from the Molasses Reef weather station, which is right there at Pennekamp Park in Key Largo.

As far as choosing dive sites goes, you might want to check out this link to the old Florida Conch Divers site. Each site has photos and other useful information:
http://www.conchdivers.com/keys/keysdivesites.htm

Good luck and good diving,
Grier
I'm not going to get into a spitting contest on this subject, and this is the last time I'll post on this issue. I will make this one last statement though, opinions are like elbows, everyone has a couple. I have mine and you have yours. Looks like we agree to disagree. BTW I have over twenty dives on the Grove, so I'm not a novice to this dive... :palmtree: Bob

No hard feelings intended. Just thinking of an inexperienced, traveling diver for whom the decision to call a dive may mean a ruined dive vacation.

My wife no longer dives because of a bad decision to participate in a dive on the Duane that was beyond her experience and training and resulted in an accident. And the dive operator encouraged her to go ahead with it. BTW, this was lifetime dive 17 for her, following an AOW class. Because of that experience, I take this kind of thing a little personally.

Speaking of elbows, I'll buy the first round if we meet up in Key Largo, and we can do some elbow curls after diving...

Yes, if she could work up the nerve, book with one of the operators that will take OWs to the Grove, but - hit other than a perfect day, she could cancel. But she's brand new at this...!

Why not just plan a fun dive on Molasses Reef we all know she'll enjoy, and save the Grove for when she's more experienced and ready.

just offering my elbow er, opinion.

I have dove the Grove only three times, but I would not recommend it for an inexperienced diver either. The first time we dove there a couple years ago the current was ripping, and it was less than great. We have since had two other wonderful dives there, but I would suggest against it.

There are a number of really nice dives in the Keys that would be memorable in more pleasant ways, and I would think that would be a lot better.

Some of the big differences between CA diving and FL diving are the viz, the temps and the "life". As a CA diver, I would suggest that Puffer would get more out of a reef dive with tons of colorful fish rather than a potentially stressful dive on a challenging wreck.

Just my elbows, for what they are worth.

Wristshot

There ya' go, Puffer! Enjoy the reefs, and come back and tell us about it!! :dazzler1:

I'd say Key Largo, I've been there and ejoyed it very much. We went with Silent world, and I was very happy with them. I would say, that flying into Miami is your best, cheapest, bet too, and you'll need to rent a car and make the trip down to Key largo, It's not that far really. Key Largo is also the closest "Key" from Miami. Of course, some people are going to suggest that you don't need to go all the way to the keys for diving either, apparently their are diving operations all along the coast. We went to Key Largo in November, and the surge was a little annoying, it get's hard to keep your sense of direction. I understand that it should be a lot calmer in the summer. Wish we could Join you :crafty: Have fun!!

MAGELLAN:
I'd say Key Largo, I've been there and ejoyed it very much. We went with Silent world, and I was very happy with them. I would say, that flying into Miami is your best, cheapest, bet too, and you'll need to rent a car and make the trip down to Key largo, It's not that far really. Key Largo is also the closest "Key" from Miami. Of course, some people are going to suggest that you don't need to go all the way to the keys for diving either, apparently their are diving operations all along the coast. We went to Key Largo in November, and the surge was a little annoying, it get's hard to keep your sense of direction. I understand that it should be a lot calmer in the summer. Wish we could Join you :crafty: Have fun!!

I concur. I've used Silent World several times, with great results every time. They're at mile marker 103.2, near the entrance to Pennekamp Park. Here's their web site:

http://www.pennekamp.com/sw/

If you go there, tell Janet that I said "Hi".

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom