Which Key Largo Center out of these 3??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for Quiesence. Have not dove with SW but heard good things. Have dove with Q for many years. Their staff and captains have been with them forever. Service is second to none and they are very safety conscious. Also, just plain, nice folks. Their boats are all 6-packs which makes for a nice, non-cramped dive. If your group controls the boat they will pretty much go where you want, with the captain having final say over dive safety.

First off I want to state that I have no personal skin in the game and I was just giving my personal opinion. I have been out with all 3 shops more than once. And in fact none of the 3 are in my top 2 but, since the poster asked a question among the 3, I left it at that. All of them can and will do a good job, but everybody has their own comfort zone and expectations.

But in any case there is a significant difference in boat speed, maintenance and and long term staff stability among the 3 ops which influenced my comments. I am basing this on 100's of dives in the upper Keys using many of the operations that service the area.

The op I use depends on the detailed site I want to hit and the dive objectives. SW is great when I want to hit the Northern Sites and tech diving. Quiescence is great if I want a easy going 6 pack that leaves the dock later than most - great if you plan on staying out a bit later the night before - they also typically do better HP fills on regular basis (steel tanks). I might use Ocean Divers for a night dive as they will do any dive scheduled as long a 2 divers sign up - impressive for a big boat operation. It is hard to beat Jeff and the Minnow as far as six packs go. He leaves first both morning and afternoon, so you are assured to hit the wrecks before anybody else is there. He replaces his Outboard on a very short rotation basis - so he limits exposure to the equipment gremlins. Brenda and Gary at Conch treat me and my friends like kings and they too maintain their boats to very high standards. The list goes on, but I think you get the idea that my baseline was more complete than did I have fun when we went out -- I always have fun diving.

I'm not sure what is meant by this? Just because they are smaller and run less trips they are "2nd tier"? I'll just assume the only implication there is that they just don't have as much of a reputation/client base yet as some of the other shops... because they are certainly not 2nd tier when it comes to quality.

I've posted in other threads - I have been to KL several times and my experience with KLDC was the best I had with any shop (out of 5 or so shops). They were the only shop where I have been able to plan ahead with specific sites (that were an atypical dive profile for KL) and have the exact plan executed (vs one of the dive sites changing without notice). GREAT experience with both the shop and the captain.

I don't think you would go wrong with Q or SW, either, and if I couldn't go out with KLDC, they would be my choices, but I was just very impressed with the extent to which KLDC worked with me and let me choose the sites based on my dive planning. There were a few trips where it was just me and my buddy on the boat - they go out with two.

My personal preference is the six packs, you aren't going to see me recommending anything larger, so that should be taken into consideration :).

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!! I have not made my decision yet, but will be doing so by Monday!!

Thank you everyone!! I have not made my decision yet, but will be doing so by Monday!!

Who did you decide to go with?

Who did you decide to go with?

After much reading and talking to various shops, I've decided to go with KLDC. I will be diving with them for 4 dives on 12/7. I will let everyone know what I think.

I'm extremely happy with their customer service so far in the few times I've spoken to them. Can't wait to get there!

How did your trip go??

My son and I are headed down May 31 and thinking about the 3 shops you mentioned.

How did your trip go??

My son and I are headed down May 31 and thinking about the 3 shops you mentioned.

I dove with KLDC and I have nothing, but great things to say!!

We did 2 morning and 2 afternoon dives...Elena was more than helpful and extremely friendly...the captians were great and helpful as well!

They took us out only the 2 of us and we had more than enough time on the sites!! And their dock is a 1-2 minute ride to the ocean!!

I definitely would suggest checking them out!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom