Which Island is the best for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
Just kidding, although it is a site very sparely used because the locals don't want to scare off the mantas. The only other time I had a chance to dive the site was when a local instructor invited me along on a night dive for various instructors and DMs from several different shops & boats. It's in 40' of water, about 1/4 mile offshore from Ukumehame park, about MM12.

I've dove that site, if I recall correctly there isn't much to see there other than the mantas. We were there looking around under things to see what we could spot when the sun seemed to go out. When we looked up the largest manta I've ever seen on Maui was cruising overhead along with many of his buddies. A so-so dive turned into an awesome one. :)

Al Mialkovsky:
I've dove that site, if I recall correctly there isn't much to see there other than the mantas.
Depends on whether or not you are into the small stuff. It was a good sized coral garden with lots of little critters -- damsels, wrasses, as well as the Hawaiian cleaner wrasses and the Saddle wrasses that were working on the mantas.

It pales in comparison with the awesome photos Gilligan comes up with time after time, but the attached photo of two mantas shows a bit of the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom