Which Island is the best for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacoz22

Contributor
Reaction score
I was certified in Maui 15 years ago and have done most of my diving in Cozumel. I was wondering which Island has the most marine life for diving. We have only been diving in Maui, at the Black Rock at the Sheritan hotel and Molokini. And have done some beach dives in South Kihei. (sp?) Would like to take my grandson diving and thought we would go somewhere we dont have to get a passport for him. Thanks for any information. Kathy in Texas

Big Isle is best with Maui being a close second, IMHO.

You and him dive off Grand Island,, located off the Pictured Rocks National Shoreline in Michigan/Lake Superior,,,,,now that would be differnt!!!

I thought they scared you????? It's an awsome dive for sure.

Which Island is the best for diving?

Actually the water around the island is a lot better :D

Ben_ca:
Actually the water around the island is a lot better :D

Generally true, although, I'd probably find walking around my front yard in full scuba gear more interesting than the dive I did at Koko Craters on Oahu several years back.

Wildcard:
I thought they scared you????? It's an awsome dive for sure.

I actually found the eels to more unnerving on that dive. Either way, I live for danger!

I prefer Maui, though to be fair I haven't dove the Big Island or Oahu. ;-)

Nice thing about Maui is that there's not only good shore diving on Maui, but there's 2 other islands to enjoy....Molokini crater and Lanai. You have the variety of in-shore reefs, an amazing "aquarium" dive in the inner crater of Molokini (100+ foot viz and dead calm water), the excitement of a world class blue water/wall dive doing the backwall of Molokini, and a bunch of fabulous dive sites at Lanai, including Cathedral 1 and 2.

Add to that all the on-shore activities and gorgeous beaches, and to me it's the perfect vacation destination! :D

Back
Top Bottom