Which Island is the best for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacoz22:
I was wondering which Island has the most marine life for diving. Kathy in Texas

The one you are diving at that moment :)

Paul in VT

PaulChristenson:
Which island is best for diving?: The one you are diving at that moment :)
Paul in VT
True, true. The same of course also applies to BCDs, regs, lights, and dive boats! :)

Al M:
Which site Charlie?
We were sworn to secrecy.

Just kidding, although it is a site very sparely used because the locals don't want to scare off the mantas. The only other time I had a chance to dive the site was when a local instructor invited me along on a night dive for various instructors and DMs from several different shops & boats. It's in 40' of water, about 1/4 mile offshore from Ukumehame park, about MM12.

The dive op for the manta cleaning station was Mike Severns. One of the reasons I like them is that they go to a wider variety of sites than the other guys. Once I asked Ed Robinson's to go to Spinning Plates (a huge conical formation of mostly plate coral 100' or so in diameter and going from 70' up to about 40'). They just kind of went "Huh?" When I described the location south of St Anthony's and a bit north of the Grand Wailea it was "Oh, so THAT's what they were diving over there".

Timothy Randall:
Kidspot and the rest of ya all

Thanks for the posts and keep them coming. I am determined to have a blast. sounds like I could bring a 3mm suit and be comfortable? Or should I rent a 5mm? I am not normally cold in the water, and even here in the PNW in a drysuit I usually am over dressed. I the last two warm water trips I brought my Aluminum Backplate and single wing, Regs, Can lite and computer. Are larger/ steel tanks with din valves usually available along with Nitrox? How about Night diving from either boat or shore (my favorite)
I hear the shore diving is pretty good near Kihei, I printed out a map with some dive sites on it, so imput from you locals would be great.

Thanks alot for your answers to a million questions.

Kidspot, I will definetly drop you a PM when I know more as to where we are staying and the like.

Plan for the water to be around 74 degrees in March, that should help you decide how much exposure protection you need. I wouldn't wear anything less than a 5mm full, but my DH will be very comfortable in his 3mm full.

For a really great night dive, drive up to Kaanapali and dive Black Rock. It's a very shallow dive so the bottom times are tremendous, but its an easy entry and there are some great critters there at night.

The Maui locals are going to have to answer your questions about finding steel tanks with Nitrox though. I've always seen the AL80s as pretty standard there.

Nitrox will run you about $12/fill and you will have a hard time finding a shore dive where it will actually extend your bottom time (unless you can get more than 2 hrs out of an Al80) I've only seen 4 DIN valves on the island... mine :wink: so I wouldn't count on them, also I've only seen steel tanks available at B&B - they have 2 120's IIR. But since most of the shore diving is in less than 40 feet, 90+minute bottom times are not uncommon even with an Al80.

Have fun...

No problem on the tanks, just curious. I will bring an adaptor (usually do anyway) As for bottom times, shallow night dives are always a hoot for me. I assume that all the areas are protected (no hunting???) I enjoy both photography and eating out.

Tim

Actually there are only a couple of protected areas. As far as spearing fish goes - Lobster has it's own season as do a few other things. More and more fishermen are refusing to eat any shore fish they catch do to the toxin that is found in some of the reef fish... unfortunate...

Thanks,

I will look into the seasons as I know it would make a lot of points if on one of my dives I brought home the 'bacon' so to speak. We don't get lobster over here very often and it is a favorite of my wife. I am really looking forward to the trip!! Now I guess I can justify the next 2 months of "proficiency training":14: :14:

Tim

Tim,

I will be in Maui almost the same days as you (we are there 3/10 - 3/19). My kids are doing their checkout dives with Doug at Shaka divers and I am booked with B&B on the 15th, 17th, and 18th. Both came highly recommended on this board (as you have already seen) and have been a pleasure to deal with in getting our dives set up.

We are staying in the Kahana area, so I may try to catch a boat with Extended Horizons or Lahaina divers on one of the days I am not driving to Kihie. I may go out with Doug on a night dive looking for bugs as well... Really depends on how much diving I can convince my non-diving wife that I need to do.

Steve

Steve,

What kind of Experience do you have (coming from Nebraska) Is it pretty good visibility in the corn fields?(LOL) My dad was originally from there. I started diving in a River in Fairbanks Alaska, so I can relate.
I haven't been to Maui in 25 years, so I haven't got a clue about where is where? I will know more in a few days as we are trading time in a condo... Should I "schedule in advance some diving for that time of year?? Does sound like that B&B operation is highly recomended. How old are your kids? I got my youngest son and his wife certified a couple of years ago, unfortunately my son got scared on his 3rd post cert. dive with me and after not properly clearing on the decent he got dis-oriented, bolted to the surface and perforated an ear drum. He quit diving! I suspect he will pick it up again some time. My Daughter is a good little diver and her boy friend (both in College) is a DM. Perhaps I could schedule to dive with ya on the B&B charter and go from there? I will wait till I know for sure where we are staying and get with ya. I would really like to go get some bugs, as I have never done that. We do a lot of deep shrip trapping at night and catching Dungeness crab here in the PNW. Water temp here is usually between 46-55 degrees so heck Hawaii ought to be like a bath tub!

For sure it would be fun to meet some new dive buddies.

Tim

Big Isle has lush reef But once youve seen a 20'diameter of it thats about all you will be seeing. The fish are not as abundant as Maui. Oahu has not turned me on either. Maui Maui Maui

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom