Which DUI suit should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do a search on Softwear on the board

I did contact Janice but I don't see that her prices are that much cheaper. From what I understand, the material she uses is the Polartec "Thermal" which is the same material used in the DUI "ActionWear" (not Thinsulate or PowerStretch). The DUI ActionWear (Thermal 300) lists for $170. I can get it from my dealer for $145. The Softwear from Janice costs $172 with shipping. That price does include socks but the difference between DUI and Softwear is minor.

I guess the biggest difference is that Janice custom fits the garments.

I'm sorry, thinsulate type-B is not "machine washable" in the sense that you can just throw it in the washer and dryer. You have to be VERY careful with the undergarment to preserve its life. In fact, you shouldn't wash it at all if you can help it.

I don't want to go into the full instructions here as you will learn them when you buy the undergarment. But suffice it to say that you can't use detergent... plain water is best and a little bleach if absolutely needed. And DO NOT hang the undergarment to dry when it is wet or you will ruin it completely.

I am not a fan of the CF200. It seriously weighs a ton when wet and can take 2 days to dry. That becomes a serious drag in multi-day diving or if you have a suit flood. While the TLS350 may rip if you snag on something, I would argue that if you have good situational awareness and precise buoyancy control, you shouldn't be crashing into things anyway.

sasdasdaf, you've been a great help. Thanks!

It sounds like the PowerStretch is easier to maintain than the Thinsulate.

What do you think about the CLX450 as a compromise between the TLS350 and the CF200? Sounds like the 450 might still dry quicker than the 200 and be lighter but also may be a little tougher than the 350.

I'm trying to fnd information that lists the dry weight of these suits in comparable sizes but to no avail. My LDS only has the 200 in stock. I've never even seen a 350 or 450.

Thanks again for the help.

Like I said, the CLX is tougher, but that is kind of a moot point if you aren't crashing around on wrecks/reefs. The motion restriction that it may cause is a greater concern.

In order of preference - TLS350 (by far), CLX450, CF200. Actually I probably wouldn't ever buy a CF200.

I have a new TLS 350 and love it. I've put on about 30 dives on it so far, and really like the fast drying time. Cuts down my post dive maintainence effort by 80%!

I originally wanted to get the CLX450, but after trying one on at my LDS, I changed my mind. The TLS is very comfortable, but the CLX is stiff enough that I hated it. Add to that the cost difference, and it was a no brainer.

You can get kneepads, elbow pads and butt pads of tougher material if you believe you need them. Unless you are diving wrecks, I highly recommend the TLS over either the CLX or CF.

How is the quality of the DUI zipper? I've heard that a horizontal zipper on the back lasts longer than a diagonal zipper in the front.

Do not get the rear entry zipper. The stiffness of the zipper will restrict your shoulder motion. Some other disadvantages off the top of my head: your suit isn't self-donning as you can't close the zip yourself. Also the suit tends to be baggier as there is no telescoping torso to take up the slack.

The quality of the DUI zipper is just fine.

sasdasdaf once bubbled...
Do not get the rear entry zipper. The stiffness of the zipper will restrict your shoulder motion. Some other disadvantages off the top of my head: your suit isn't self-donning as you can't close the zip yourself. Also the suit tends to be baggier as there is no telescoping torso to take up the slack.

The quality of the DUI zipper is just fine.

OK, the self-donning point is made. And you also say that the front-zipper doesn't leak more often than a zipper on the back?

UPDATE-

Well, after spending WAY too much time researching this drysuit purchase and with all of your advice taken into account, I ended up ordering a SS CLX-50/50. This has the CF200 bottom and CLX450 top. I also ordered the Polartec PowerStretch undergarment. I still feel the TLS350 might have been a slightly better fit for me but I just couldn't pass up the toughness of the CF200 bottom for the type of diving I do here in the NW. Besides - I was sick of researching it. If I don't like it I'll just sell it and get the TLS350.

Now on to dive computers ........Vytec, Cobra, SmartCon? Wrist or console???????????

I need some aspirin!:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom