Which DUI suit should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my first dives outside the pool in my new CF200 Friday and Saturday on the Peace at San Miguel. I don't know how I ever dove wet. Interestingly enough, no additional weight; kept the same 24#'s I use in a 7mil + 5mil vest/hood. Also interesting, I found bouyancy actually easier, with faster action and correction, using the dry suit, than I have using a BC. But, it will still take a few :eek:ut: more dives to be as comfortable as I was. I was sucking down air like crazy, but, that may have been the added concentration not to go feet up and positive.

Bert...your'e right about DUI vs. TJ's prices on the polartech. Similar, but, I do have her 200 weight and just love it.

As to is DUI being the best, who knows? Much of it may be marketing and advertising, but, if you count the dry divers on a boat, consistantely more than half are in a DUI model. I'm now one of those very happy statistics!!!!!

Just to be clear, I'm not qualified to say which drysuit is the best. I'm just getting back into diving after a 20 year layoff. Everything is new now. However, after spending dozens and dozens of hours on this forum and others, plus talking to staff at local dive shops the concensus is that DUI suits are the best. I haven't heard anybody anywhere claim something else is better. I've heard people say other suits are very good but not better than DUI.

I'm just lucky that I can afford to pay the premium for a DUI. If I couldn't, I'd probably find something else that's just fine (just not in the same league as a DUI).

There are a lot of drysuits and the choice comes down to personal preference. I dove Mobby's for many years and was/am very happy with it - when it fit properly. With the heavy underwear on, its too restrictive in the shoulders now. When I wanted another suit, I checked Mobby's their sizing wouldn't work for me. Sure they could do custom suits - from Taiwan. No thanks. Sure a Diving Concepts or Northern Diver or Abyss or any of them may have worked. But I have seen CF-200s still in use after many years and close to or over a thousand hours in the water and still going strong with only a zipper and seal replacement. They weren't babied but maintained properly. For service, friends have never had a problem with DUI and have been able to get expedited service when it was needed. They are in the US and a phone call away. Basically when I put it all together, DUI had the right product, right quality, and right service for my needs. I'm not following but choosing what I think is right for me. Your decisions are yours and may be completely different.

I want to buy a trilam (TLS 350), but somebody told me that I can use this suit only in cold water (< 10 Celsius). Is this true?

Penguin once bubbled...
I want to buy a trilam (TLS 350), but somebody told me that I can use this suit only in cold water (< 10 Celsius). Is this true?

Trilam suits in general have little to no insulating value, so the temperature you can dive in depends greatly on the unsulating underwear you use. It will vary depending on the temperature.

Penguin once bubbled...

No!! If it's a dive shop that told you that, run for your life. The TLS350 (and other shell suits such as the CLx 450 and CF200) can be worn in any temp just by changeing undergarments. The shell suits just keep you dry and provide almost no insulation.

in my TLS350...water temp was 61F (16C)...positive proof that you can dive it in warmer waters.

Your source of advice is clueless...

Hmmm, I already had my doubts about the dive-shop....

So diving in a trilam suit is possible in 'hot' H2O. How about the squize with thinner undergarment?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom