Which DUI suit should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got the TLS350, and I just love it.
My boyfriend got the FLX50/50, and I think it was the right choice for him - he needs the tougher material because he's the type of person who could rip a regular suit on river rocks! I don't know how he does it...... :fishy:
It's got the trilam on the top, and crushed neoprene on the bottom. It's a very tough suit, but it's quite a bit heavier than my suit (especially when it's wet).
It has the same drying problems that others mentioned here - that sucker can take 2 days to dry.....even indoors! Mine is dry in about 10 minutes.

We both got the Polartech Powerstretch fleeces, and they have worked out really well. Our water temps range from about 35-45 degrees, and we've always been warm.

So diving in a trilam suit is possible in 'hot' H2O. How about the squize with thinner undergarment?

We both have DUI 350 TLS (trilams) and have dove them in temps as warm as 73F. As has already been indicated, you simply change what you're wearing underneath to pretty much dive whatever temps you want.

In warmer temps we tend to go with long sleeved T-shirts or long sleeved poly shirts (that you wear under ski clothes: they wick away moisture best) and a pair of cycling leggings. Add to that the usual thick socks & voila! zee parfait underwater ensemble.

Wearing the long sleeved shirt & leggings helps fight off suit hickies from possible squeeze. The only way to keep squeeze at a minimum, however, is to make sure you have adequate air in the suit at all times.

DSDO,

I've had the TLS350SE since they came out and can tell you that the zipper in no way restricts shoulder motion. I can very easily perform my valve shutdown drills or any other shoulder motion I care to. Of course, the SE zipper requires help to close, but then again, you shouldn't be diving alone anyway, right..... Finally, the SE suits are not baggy at all. In fact, the self-donning suits I've used (and I've used many) are signficantly more baggy than the SE. The SE suits are quite snug. I would HIGHLY recommend the rear entry suits - save your money!

sasdasdaf once bubbled...
Do not get the rear entry zipper. The stiffness of the zipper will restrict your shoulder motion. Some other disadvantages off the top of my head: your suit isn't self-donning as you can't close the zip yourself. Also the suit tends to be baggier as there is no telescoping torso to take up the slack.

The quality of the DUI zipper is just fine.

I have comfortably dived in 78 F water in my CLX-450. Wore cycling tights and cycling jersey underneath. No hood and no gloves, very nice.

Was making most dives deep below a 50 F thermocline, so I didn't want to have to bring a wetsuit AND a drysuit on the trip.

One caution: you need much less weight with no warm undergarments!

theskull

Like the others here. I just started diving my new CLX-450 and the experience has been nothing but excellent. My buddy and I ordered their signature series and the full cordura version which is pretty heavy and built like a truck. The water temps off Southern California have been about 54 at depth. We've been wearing the Softwear 200 suit with 100 vest and the combination has also been excellent. I also agree with Hallmac in that if you're in the market for a drysuit, save up and go after the right suit. Do not compromise!

I'm surprised that with all the talk of DUI suits no one has mentioned the CNse suit. I own one and absolutely love it. It dosen't take very long to dry and I find that I can adjust what I wear under it to account for varying temps.
I paid about $1000 at my LDS for it. I dive primarily in the local quarry with temps avg around 53 deg. I have dove it in North Carolina on wrecks in temps around 75. I jest adjust what I wear from T-shirt and shorts to polyproplene (sp?) long handles from Cabelas Outdoors. The outer skin is super tuff and I believe that the suit has some insulating qualities on its own.
The bottom line is to each his own and what works best for you. I'm glad to see so much valuable input on the subject.
....as for my 2 cents...you can't beat a DUI suit!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom