Which DUI suit should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'm really leaning towards the 350 now. Is there any reason I should rule out the CLX450? Does it provide the toughness of the 200 with the light weight and quick drying of the 350? If so, maybe it's the perfect combination?

Is the Polartec Powerstretch easier to care for than the Thinsulate 200/400? My LDS recommended the Powerstretch but I kind of like the smooth shell of the Thinsulate. Any opinions on these two types of garments?

The CLX is tougher than the TLS but in some cases may restrict motion. This can be a problem in shutting down valves, for example. I'm not sure the extra toughness is worth anything, as you really shouldn't be dragging your suit across the reef or wreck anyway. If you don't touch anything, there is no need for it.

Pretty much anything is easier to care for than the type-B thinsulate. I like the thinsulate as it is the warmest thing out there when combined with argon for suit inflation. I don't like the cold so this suits me well. If you have $400 handy and want to go for the best, then buy it. Otherwise you can get away with another undergarment.

BTW in case you didn't know, the TLS350 and 400G with argon combination is what is used in the WKPP for extreme exposures.

All I have to say about which type is:

I have seen guys puncture and tear tls suits, but I have never seen a CF200 torn on a dive... and most guys diving wrecks here in the NE atlantic are using CF200s...

Do you know what they were doing when they tore their TLS350 suits? Was it just "run of the mill" recreational diving or were they squeezing into a wreck or doing heavy commercial work?

I've heard folks say they have 350+ dives on their TLS350 and the suits are still beautiful and I've heard others say they see them get torn up easily. I'm soooo confused. Which is it?

I think the TLS is a great material but if you put it side by side to the CF material, the CF should take a lot more WEAR & tear, therefore it should last longer (with a few Seal Repairs along the way).

I would highly recommend not getting the Two piece Underwear offered by DUI, it is uncomfortable (With the dry suit on) and a lot of my students using it have had trouble working their exhaust valve due to the wooly thick material blocking the ports. Agian the Thinsulate 200 / 400 is a great choice, if you need serious warmth. otherwise go with the powerstretch.

his arm got caught on a piece of pipe that was sticking out with a bracket on the end...ripped it right open....

if you plan on diving in water that is free from sharp objects and jagged rocks a tls suit will last a long time. in a cave where you only need to worry about some abraision from a cave wall a tls is a good choice. But if you do plan on swimming around sharp steel and old rusted wrecks, then a CF200 would be a better choice.

Can any of you tell me the difference in functionality between the Thinsulate 200/400 vs. the Polartec Powerstretch? I used the Powerstretch at the demo dive yesterday but I've never tried the Thinsulate undergarments for comparison. Which is easier to slip the drysuit over? Which is easier to clean?

They are both Machine Washable, I always line / air dry them.

The Power Stretch (as you know) is a fleece only type material, Very light weight and doesn't take up much packing space.

Thinsulate has an outer shell that makes sliding into the dry suit a little easier IMHO. A littler thicker and takes up more packing space. (Thinsulate look a little better while on your surface interval if you are trying to impress the fashion concious, then again my Power Strecth is Bright Green, similar to something out of a bad christmas play!)

Do a search on Softwear on the board. You'll find Janice does great work for polortech fleece, at 25% the cost of DUI. There are many postings about her. And custom sizing is available at no additional charge.

ScubaSky once bubbled...
I would highly recommend not getting the Two piece Underwear offered by DUI, it is uncomfortable (With the dry suit on) and a lot of my students using it have had trouble working their exhaust valve due to the wooly thick material blocking the ports. Agian the Thinsulate 200 / 400 is a great choice, if you need serious warmth. otherwise go with the powerstretch.

Just because you're getting a DUI drysuit, doesn't mean you have to get DUI underwear. I happen to think there are better options if you are considering Thinsulate. Namely, check out Diving Concepts stretch thinsulate underwear.
They cost no more than the DUI thinsulate and they allow more freedom of movement. Mind you, I'm not slamming DUI here. I own one of their suits and am very happy with it. And their customer service is very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom