Which dry glove system is 'best'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it’s worth, I just got new rings from PSI (pacific scuba industries) and love them. Fully aluminum and super easy to use. Not a single leak and really well built. Worth looking into if you’re in the market.

PSI Canada Dry Glove Set. Buy in Canada

Looking at the pictures they look a lot like the Rolock.

I just bought a pair of the PSI gloves to replace my fourth element ellipse system (I hated how long it took to snap them in place). They are very well made rings and they are Canadian made too!!

So far I have only one complaint and it's that I wish they made a larger version of them for people with wide hands that don't fit into tight spaces well.... That was the reason I went with the Ellipse system originally. Oh well... can't win on everything!!

DUI ZipSeal Dry Gloves work great...and I don't use them any longer. Too challenging to pull the neck seal over the head after putting my hands in the dry gloves and my shoulders object to putting the neck seal on first and then dislocating my shoulder (maybe it only feels that way) to put on the drysuit. So I use DUI wrist seals and the ZyTech ring system. The wrist seals give me redundancy (put coffee stirrers or a string in to vet the gloves). The local hardware store has blue smurf gloves that look, feel and function exactly like the DUI Smurf gloves and retail for under $3.00, just put in the rings, and trim off the excess on the wrist. Works great, readily available and I can put them on after I put on my drysuit and take them off first.

If you are currently using the fourth element ellipse system then you can swap directly to the Rolock 90 system. Do a search for post by me and the search term “Ellipse” and also “Rolock 90”…I have written reviews of both.

I would stay away from zip seals as while they work, they are expensive to replace and you cannot quickly put them on or take them off…one typically mounts them on their suit and then leaves them installed unless changing them due to a compromised seal…this means that you will have your hands in gloves before finishing getting your suit zipped up and your kit on….most folks that I know get everything situated, put their gear on, and then pop their gloves on to their cuffs.

Rolock 90 is by far the easiest system to use in my experience and I have tried and reviewed quite a few.

-Z

Hey Zef,

I'm sure the Rollock system is great but I've already made the purchase of the PSI glove system and will be going with it for now. No use in buying a third dry glove system and having two sitting on the shelf haha!

Plus I'm quite happy to be supporting a canadian manufacturer where I can :)

If you are currently using the fourth element ellipse system then you can swap directly to the Rolock 90 system. Do a search for post by me and the search term “Ellipse” and also “Rolock 90”…I have written reviews of both.

I would stay away from zip seals as while they work, they are expensive to replace and you cannot quickly put them on or take them off…one typically mounts them on their suit and then leaves them installed unless changing them due to a compromised seal…this means that you will have your hands in gloves before finishing getting your suit zipped up and your kit on….most folks that I know get everything situated, put their gear on, and then pop their gloves on to their cuffs.

Rolock 90 is by far the easiest system to use in my experience and I have tried and reviewed quite a few.

-Z
I too had problems docking the glove ring onto the cuff of my FE Ellipse, as did several of my colleagues with the same suit and system. The problem always appeared to be the large orange O ring, which seemed too fat and a bit loose, causing the ring to bulge when trying to click the glove into place.

One of my mates questioned this with FE who said they've since brought out a different O ring which is black, slightly thinner and a tighter fit.

We all subsequently ordered replacement O rings which now work perfectly. No more issues fitting or staying docked.

Fourth element has made a bunch of running changes to the design of their ellipse system due to it failing to attach and seal properly…that have widened and deepened the groove the sealing o-ring sits in, they changed the composite of the orange o-ring to get it to work better, and now you report they have changed the o-ring size/cross section diameter and possibilities material type.

The biggest issue I had with their system was the pain in the arse factor to get it lined up and snapped in place, it had to be lined up perfectly…that issue was compounded by the sealing o-ring being pushed out of the groove.

When properly docked together, the system worked well to keep my hands dry, but getting them docked together was just a pain…I quickly switched back to my set of Waterproof Ultima DGS and then obtained a set of Rolock 90 to try…as mentioned the Rolock 90 work wonderfully.

The thing that bothers me the most about the Ellipse system is that Fourth Element is not informing their dealers or clients about these changes…and the changes are not generational upgrades, they are a rework of parts that cause the system to fail…they should issue a recall or a notice. Fourth Ellement has my contact details as I purchased them directly from them (2 sets) specifically to test and review. The fact I bout a set for myself and my wife meant that I really had high hopes for their product…I spent a bunch of time on the phone and email discussing their product with them both before and after purchasing. I even discussed the perceived shortfalls of the system with them before publishing my review only to receive a cavalier response from them. I was kinda stunned by how much of a struggle the system is to use and Fourth Element’s lack of accountability in informing their dealers and customer base of what they have done to address their faulty design issues…

...oh, and they have not pulled or replaced old stock from their dealer network, leaving new purchasers primed to have to figure out the pitfalls of their system on their own….. that is just a garbage way of treating clientele by a major brand in a small niche industry.

What you shared about the “black o-rings” just makes me shake my head in disappointment.

I traded one set of our Ellipse rings for a set of Ultima DGS a couple of years ago, the other set is available for sale or trade.

-Z

The ellipse is the only dry glove system that I rejected in minutes, the Antaries is much better and it’s pretty bad, RoLock is the best I’ve used in every aspect, if it has a real world flaw I’ve yet to discover it.

The ellipse is the only dry glove system that I rejected in minutes, the Antaries is much better and it’s pretty bad, RoLock is the best I’ve used in every aspect, if it has a real world flaw I’ve yet to discover it.
I agree. the only thing that comes close to a flaw is that the corners of the “locking lugs” are a bit pokey which for some may be a comfort issue but has no affect on the function of the system. 10 seconds with a nail file (less with a dremel) and the problem was gone….and Rolock was happy to be informed of the issue.

-Z

Between @Zef and @lexvil I am pretty excited to get a hold of the Rolock 90's. Outside of the Ultimas, Kubi's, or Rolock's I just can't imagine why anyone would want to even try anything else. So many bad reviews on all the other ones spread all over the internets.

I am interested to see a friends Santi rings as they're supposed to be flexible, but it's proprietary, so unless someone copies you can't get one without the purchase of a $3k suit!! No thanks, lol.

The thing that bothers me the most about the Ellipse system is that Fourth Element is not informing their dealers or clients about these changes…and the changes are not generational upgrades, they are a rework of parts that cause the system to fail…they should issue a recall or a notice. Fourth Ellement has my contact details as I purchased them directly from them (2 sets) specifically to test and review. The fact I bout a set for myself and my wife meant that I really had high hopes for their product…I spent a bunch of time on the phone and email discussing their product with them both before and after purchasing. I even discussed the perceived shortfalls of the system with them before publishing my review only to receive a cavalier response from them. I was kinda stunned by how much of a struggle the system is to use and Fourth Element’s lack of accountability in informing their dealers and customer base of what they have done to address their faulty design issues…

...oh, and they have not pulled or replaced old stock from their dealer network, leaving new purchasers primed to have to figure out the pitfalls of their system on their own….. that is just a garbage way of treating clientele by a major brand in a small niche industry.

What a shameful way to do business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom