Which dry glove system is 'best'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went through the same system pains with my fourth element gloves. Even though they did replace the suit cuffs and the orings to the new and updated ones, the system was just too long to get going in, i was always the last person with their gloves on. The only thing i liked about the system was how wide the ellipse was and that it allowed my hands to go through the rings without difficulty. All the round systems out there are too small for my wide hands but it's still less hassle for me than to deal with all the shortcomings of the ellipse system.

I'll post my thoughts on the psi gloves after i go diving with them but so far it's very promising and i like not having plastic parts.

I went through the same system pains with my fourth element gloves. Even though they did replace the suit cuffs and the orings to the new and updated ones, the system was just too long to get going in, i was always the last person with their gloves on. The only thing i liked about the system was how wide the ellipse was and that it allowed my hands to go through the rings without difficulty. All the round systems out there are too small for my wide hands but it's still less hassle for me than to deal with all the shortcomings of the ellipse system.

I'll post my thoughts on the psi gloves after i go diving with them but so far it's very promising and i like not having plastic parts.

How wide is wide? I have really large hands. I have no issues getting into the WP Ultimas. I've never tried the Ellipses.

Good luck with the psi, take some pictures and post a review. Good competition pushes the rest of the lot from becoming stagnant.

How wide is wide? I have really large hands. I have no issues getting into the WP Ultimas. I've never tried the Ellipses.

Good luck with the psi, take some pictures and post a review. Good competition pushes the rest of the lot from becoming stagnant.

Dimensions (with comparison to Ultima DGS):
Ellipse:

Glove ring oval long dimension: 133mm
Glove ring oval short dimension: 114mm
Stack height above edge of PU ring with glove ring attached: 17.3mm
Stack height above edge of PU ring without glove ring attached: 13mm
Weight (1 glove ring, 1 cuff ring, o-rings, silicone band, SHOWA model 720, size L glove): 154 grams.

Ultima:
Glove ring diameter: 125mm
Stack height above edge of PU ring with glove ring attached: 40mm
Stack height above edge of PU ring without glove ring attached: 25mm
Weight (1 glove ring, 1 cuff ring, o-rings, silicone band, SHOWA model 720, size L glove): 276 grams

Full review of Ellipse system can be found here

-Z

Here are a few pictures of the psi. I should be diving them this weekend.
20221005_154330.jpg
20221005_154256.jpg
20221005_154228.jpg

Attachments

• 20221005_154256.jpg
    20221005_154256.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 25
It looks like a good system but from what I have read/seen it is primarily designed to use marigold latex gloves . I think I saw somewhere that they make/made a glove retention ring for other gloves like SHOWA/Atlas that one can purchase at an additional expense.

Some folks swear by the marigold latex gloves, but I don't think they are very cut resistant and latex offers little to no thermal protection.

My preferred glove is still the SHOWA 720, and I like that both the Ultima DGS and the Rolock 90 systems, straight out of the box, allow one to use a variety of gloves.

Let us know how your dives go...I will keep my fingers crossed that your glove system keeps you dry.

Cheers,
-Z

Yes they do make a second ring that will accommodate the other glove types. It's just the retaining ring that is different. The rest of the system is the same.

FWIW, I've been using the PSI system with 720s and the standard ring for the last ~20 dives and zero problems. I didn't realize that the retaining ring is different, actually.

Reactions: Zef
Ok so first dives with the PSI gloves and I have to admit they are really nice to use and so easy!! I have to shorten the amount of glove sticking out of the ring but that's just a minor adjustment for personal comfort. I'll be diving again next week-end hopefully and putting more time on the system.

Only downside so far is how freakin loud a metal cuff ring is when it hits the floor of an aluminum boat haha!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom