Which dry glove system is 'best'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I I made many dives where the gloves completely popped off multiple times before I even entered the water.
Because there is nothing holding on the gloves except the friction from very small orIngs, it is very easy to have any movement of the glove cause it to disengage.
We used this system in our team without anything like this for about 4-5 years, then switched to seal-on-seal gloves just because they lack the main disadvantage of any ring systems - bulkness. Other than that, we had no demand for replacing this system with another.

If the glove by itself popped off from its main black ring - you just used wrong stopper ring (there are several in the set with different diameters and color) or was not installed properly.
System by itself don't fall apart either as the rubber o-ring keeps it tight... strong tension should be applied to undo it, thus it has the ring on thread for pulling off. I guess separation may happen if the drysuit sleeves + gloves are too short for the hands to be fully straightened.

P.S. we used this system in the second half of the 2000s, may be Si-Tech modified it a bit, as sometimes we even had to ask buddies to help with ring rotation to separate the system as it was hard to do this with one hand.

The Quick Glove system is not highly recommended. The Glove Lock dryglove system is compatible with the QCP wrist ring system.-Z

The sealing o-ring is what retains the system together in use. While I have no direct experience with the Quick Glove system, I have read is that some divers have had the system leak and/or separate while under water. I believe there is a lack of popularity for the Quick Glove system due to the potential of this happening.-Z

I have in fact never made a complete dive with the sitech quick glove system without incident. That is because at least one of the gloves always popped off enough to leak before I ended the dive. I made many dives where the gloves completely popped off multiple times before I even entered the water. Squatting down to purge your suit of excess air can make them pop off. A giant stride could make them pop off. It became a huge inconvenience. I have also had them disengage ascending and climbing a ladder.

Because there is nothing holding on the gloves except the friction from very small orIngs, it is very easy to have any movement of the glove cause it to disengage. Because of the Non-mechanical engagement method, you can’t really expect it to hold well. This mechanism is nothing like the diving concepts / ultima / kubi systems which use much larger orings that snap into place and are much more secure.

The disappointing inability of the quick glove system in my experience led me to quickly switch to the glovelock system. I used that Yugo for a number of years with mostly success, until I discovered, the Mercedes of glove systems, the rolock.

Funny, I highly recommend this "yugo" glove system, it's simple and works great. The major issue with this system is that the o-rings that come with it are not the best match for the system. Just replace the o-rings with a standard -153 o-ring and most any problems with this system will go away. This trick has been known to this board for at least ten years. I've been using the Quick Glove system on two suits for twelve years now and I have no desire to change systems. divezonescuba: I'm not sure what you are doing wrong to have a glove pop off or leak on every dive but something is not right with how you are using the system. I have heard of some people having problems because they used silicone on the o-rings to make them easier to attach, the instructions that come with the system clearly state that this will cause problems. I have hundreds of dives with this system and I can count on one hand the number of wet dives I've had with them and all have been due to user error.

I’m moving into the Rolock being the best and ultima a close second. I’ve put a lot of dives on the Antaries and actually like them but before I took all of the bases I have and matches them with the glove side rings and put index marks to show when they are aligned properly (critical) they wold have a leak of various degrees on most dives, they turned out to be a very good system with low bulk and perfect reliability if a little fussy to set up right.

The ultima system is very simple and reliable once you’ve forgotten the nightmare of glove loading :wink:

The Rolock 90 (these all use the same suit PU rings) was hard to final lock on my neoprene suit I think it had more to do with the material and the snugger fit on my arms, worked much better the second time after moving the suit side rings but I wanted to try them on my trilam suit and wow so quick and easy to get them on and off and perfectly sealed with no issues at all, I also like that I put the on the suit for transport by just a slight rotation which also helps keep sand out while getting ready, about perfect on the bulk scale too and losing the gloves is so easy you may assume you did it wrong.

Hard rings? kubi

Soft tings? I’m liking the SANTI Smart Seal (not the magic ring)

_R

My Bare trilam seems to have hard rings already installed when I first got it. My local dive shop says it's ready for the Bare dry glove system which they seem to like. But if I went with say Kubi or Ultima, would the hard rings already on my Bare drysuit pose a problem?

My Bare trilam seems to have hard rings already installed when I first got it. My local dive shop says it's ready for the Bare dry glove system which they seem to like. But if I went with say Kubi or Ultima, would the hard rings already on my Bare drysuit pose a problem?

I believe the ultima will only fit si tech oval system

I like the ultima over the kubi, looks like I might try the roloc 90 soon.

Can you expand as to why? I'm interested. I love my Ultimas, but can't help feeling the grass is greener somewhere else.

They are so easy to use. The only downside was loading the glove, but my 720's look brand new so I don't expect to change anytime soon. Plus I know @Zef and @MaxBottomtime have made some strides forward in that area.

I vote Ultimas. I bought the PU rings, the glue, and did everything myself. All said it was less than $200.

I trust them enough that I've been diving in 42f with no seals because they ripped and haven't given it a second thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom