Which DPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me know next time you're at Ginnie or Manatee. I'll meet ya there. Go dive it. I might even buy you lunch afterwards :)

Sounds good. We usually get there early when we dive just for the day. Next time I have a few days off in a row I'll let you know as it will make it easier to meet up.

Rddvet, I liked the Suex, but everytime I borrowed one, I managed to snap off the nut retaining the prop. I guess my packing was too aggressive.

Also, I managed to get water inside once when a student made a mistake sealing it back up after charge. That sucks. I can lend demos of the Genesis and never have to worry because they never need to crack it open. Also, it burns longer and faster. I'd love to switch with you and see which one does first. :)

I'd find it hard to snap off that nut, but I could see it being possible. I will say one negative to the Suex is cracking it open to charge. On the XK1 it's not an issue as I find the groove doesn't hold water at all and it has that lip thing inside to catch the drops. My wife's last year's model XJ37 sucks though. Even if you lay it on its side for a while and ar ereally careful it always seems a few drops drip into the hull. The motor is sealed separately so it's not a big deal, but definitely an annoyance.

I've never dove a scooter that doesn't have variable speed, so I'm spoiled. But I feel ridiculously spoiled because I think having the variable speed on the handle would be much nicer. The max speed is nice on high flow days going through the lips on the XK1. But if I don't want to crush my junk, I reach up to adjust the speed. Taking that extra reach up away would be nice.

Old handle, trigger was recessed in pocket with proximity switch that turns on when distance between magnet and sensor are reduced. Debris in pocket would not allow magnet to get close enough to activate sensor. (left handed handle shown). This design is still used for the reversible handle, since the trigger is symmetrical from the top and bottom of handle.
View attachment 436683

New handle, trigger is below handle and with a bypass type switch that sweeps debris out of the way when pulled. It also allows an easier grip on the trigger when you don't want to lock it ON. Lock tab in picture is shown behind trigger (locking it OFF) to prevent accidental operation.
View attachment 436684

I have seen that change before and just forgot. The photo jogged my memory.

The best part of that scooter for me (besides the speed and range) is the ability to match the flow of the cave exactly. So your buddy is tying in a line, or dropping/picking up a bottle, you can dial in the perfect speed to be completely motionless, all from your thumb that is already on the handle.

The XJ VR is an extremely nice recreational or budget technical scooter, probably best value for money dpv on the market at the moment.

For what it's worth there's a new player in the European market.... Seacraft made in Poland I believe, not used one myself but they sure look sexy with some very competitive specs and features to boot.

Hi there
My Buddy and i, are considering going "The Scooter way" and we are looking at the Yamaha 500LI and the Suex XJ7... Two differnet types - which one would YOU consider?
Bring it on :)

Neither. Where are you at and what is your budget?

Never used a piranha but I’ve used bonnex. Wasn’t impressed. Absolute nightmare to go between salt and fresh water. The carbon fibre shroud put me off too (can hide cracks) The handle was super uncomfortable. I’d have a look at suex. Simple, well designed and reliable.

Neither. Where are you at and what is your budget?
In Denmark... no Cave diving, just recreational, max 40 meters.... Do not watt to spend A fortune on the first scooter, but do want quality and most important; something that does not break down....

In Denmark... no Cave diving, just recreational, max 40 meters.... Do not watt to spend A fortune on the first scooter, but do want quality and most important; something that does not break down....

XJ7 or VR is ideal for what you’re doing.

I received my P2 on November 12th, 2016. At first, I loved it and used it on every dive. On December 30th, I lent it to a friend who was teaching a DPV course. I am not sure exactly what happened, but it had a battery fire. I think there was a crack in one of the o-rings, which then failed and flooded the DPV. Either way, I can not fault Dive Xtras for this initial problem. We gutted the battery and sent everything else back to Dive Xtras to see if they could salvage any of it. They were helpful and covered some of the repairs under warranty. My portion of the bill came to about $2200. The DPV was returned on March 30th, 2017. So, for the first five months that I owned my Piranha, I was able to use it for 6 weeks. Again, I don’t know what happened, so I am not blaming Dive Xtras for this. However, after paying $2200 for the repair I think they are responsible for the subsequent problems.

On May 29th, it died while I was diving. Luckily, I was near the boat. The propeller was turning slowly, but not enough to provide any useful propulsion. I contacted Dive Xtra by email and was told to mail it back for repair. Since I live in Hawaii and the batteries are hazardous material, it took me a while to figure out how to ship them back. The DPV reached the factory on June 16th. They determined that it was the belt drive. Dive Xtras replaced the belt drive under warranty and shipped it back to me on June 21st. I was frustrated that I had a second issue, but happy with the prompt turn around.

On September 10th, it died again. It appeared to be the same problem. This time I found what looked like small pieces of rubber inside the DPV. Despite my email sent on 10 September, and a few other emails, I did not hear back from Dive Xtras until I reached someone by phone on September 18th. After receiving a repair authorization number, I again shipped it back. They received it on September This time the entire motor assembly was replaced. The installed an entirely new motor, electronics, belt, heat-sink, mounting plate, and motor pulley, again under warranty. It was returned to me on September 22nd. Although I was very frustrated at this point, especially about it taking over a week to get any response to my email, I was impressed with the quick turnaround.

On November 11th, it died for the fourth time. Someone must have been watching out for me because it died within 10 feet of the mooring line at the end of a great dive. This time, Dive Xtras responded quickly to my email. (Unfortunately, we are getting to know each other fairly well.) The DPV arrived at the factory on November 17th, where it is now.

I am glad that your experience has been positive. I like the DPV, when it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom