Which do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You obviously have the 2 options and wrist is a commonly heard preference.

Personally I have stayed with my 3 bay inline console and t works well for me. I keep it on a short (~8") bungee bolt snapped to the left shoulder D ring. It hangs reasonably close to me and it I retrieve it seamlessly between my thumb and index finger in a seamless motion.

Pete

As you dive more, you'll likely be boarding airplanes to do it.

Many people simply must bring their regulators as carry on. This has been debated to death, but the old timers almost always put the reg sets in the checked luggage. Nobody steals SCUBA gear at airports. Computers might present a different allure.

A computer would better be carried with you in the cabin. It is somewhat delicate and does have an actual value in resale if stolen (unlike reg sets).

If you are in paradise and diving multiple times per day, it's easier to carry a wrist computer back to your room or hammock for analysis.

Wrist mount is a good thing. My wife just belts hers to an upper d-ring on her BC.

Maranda ... I use to feel the same as you but I went through a strange transition around 200 dives. It seems I can fairly accurately guess what my gauges are going to say now days. Do I still check them? Yes, absolutely, but the placement of them, to me personally, is not NEAR as important as it use to be.

One of the benefits of a console on a hose is that it is attached to your regulators. In other words, it is not yet another piece of equipment to account for.

I have a Sherwood Wisdom console (without a compass) and love mine. I have it clipped to my bc with a retractable lanyard and have never had a problem reaching for and checking it. It has the quick disconnect so it's not a problem keeping it with me when traveling. I've never had a wrist mount but I do know I have always hated wearing a watch so I don't think I would like a wrist mount computer.

Having the gauge on your wrist helps you improve your buoyancy control, because you have much more constant feedback on your depth.

I only need to check my pressure every five minutes or so, but I check my depth constantly, so wrist works for me.

I'm surprised no one has brought up the air integrated (AI) versus non AI debate yet. If using a non-AI wrist computer, you will still need a pressure gauge on a hose. You have not eliminated anything really. AI computers can fail due to signal loss but that is not a frequent occurrence for most of them.

Having the gauge on your wrist helps you improve your buoyancy control, because you have much more constant feedback on your depth.

I only need to check my pressure every five minutes or so, but I check my depth constantly, so wrist works for me.

agree completely with this post. It's buoyancy! You get your trim right and your likely looking right past your wrist anyway. This is why my computer and bottom timer are on my wrist with slate. Always.

Get a gauge. Non-ai.
Like tsandm said. You check you pressure much less often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom