Which configuration do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have identical second stages, so that won't be an issue. Thanks again for all of the responses! I'm pretty sure that's the way I'm going to configure in the future after doing some pool practice. I'm taking my NAUI advanced class next week, with my checkouts in Key West over Labor Day weekend. I'm sure I'll have plenty of pool time to practice and get comfortable with it. I hope my instructor agrees with the consensus! (I'm pretty sure he will)
Who is your instructor? If it is Jim Gunderson, say hello for me.

Gear configurations?
If you have 10 side mount divers...
You will see 11 different configurations...
Lol

Gear configurations?
If you have 10 side mount divers...
You will see 11 different configurations...
Lol
I think that's why this is in "basic scuba discussions," Dog ...

When I was new to diving, I came across one of the early discussions of the Hogarthian rig, and even as a neophyte I could see the value of using (and wrapping) the long hose for my primary and donating that right out of my mouth to an OOA diver. I was using a yellow Mares Voltrex, which took care of the "color code, and I kept my alternate on a croakie under my chin; there were a couple of times when I was prepared with it and one time when a fellow diver needed it (her 2nd-stage slipped off her mouthpiece), and it worked very nicely indeed.

Now that I'm using sidemount, I've been through a few "different configurations" just by myself.

Ha! That's probably true, however, I want to try as many as I can to find out what works best for me.

I have a Dive Rite Hunter Pac with the XT regs. My primary air source is on a necklace with a short hose. My alternate is on a longer hose and I use that as my 'share' regulator.

Recently a friend suggested that I use the long hose as my primary and the necklace as my secondary. His reasoning was that in an OOA or share situation, a panicked out of air diver could conceivably rip the regulator out of my mouth. Then my rev on the necklace would be right there for me to use.

I can understand his thought process and was thinking of switching regs on my next dive and practicing sharing air that way. What are your thoughts on this?

I prefer the traditional "octopus" on a long hose and short hose as primary for donation with that hose being approximately 42 inches routed under my arm and secured on either a keeper to my right D ring or bungeed at my neck with a slip release knot.

IMG_2865-1.jpg

However, I also use the "long hose" primary method and in that configuration prefer a five foot hose and of course bungee the second with a slip release knot.

IMG_0107-1_edited-2.jpg

As to which I use depends upon who I am diving with and if I am solo I have no long hose, short hose or any such thing. I run my redundant air source on a slung pony. And on rare occasion, may use a long hose on the pony for donation.

And if I am diving double hose I run a standard configuration, the double hose is primary and I donate the octopus on a 42 inch hose.. It is routed under my arm and either secured again to my right D ring or bungeed to my neck BELOW the double hose loop with a slip release knot.

IMG_6179_zpsnmg2xghx.jpg

IMG_6271_zpsiyismghj.jpg

My wife uses the traditional octopus as does the vast, vast majority of divers and training agencies.

IMG_1223_edited-1.jpg

N

Last edited:
I'm curious where you were taught to consider your bungeed reg your primary, but also carry a long hose "secondary."

I hope my instructor agrees with the consensus! (I'm pretty sure he will)

Ha! During my NAUI Master Diver Classes a few years back, the instructor made the statement "I can't imagine why you would give up your working regulator" to a class where I was the only diver using a Long Hose/Bungied Octo. After drills with some of the classmates, they were all quite impressed with the air share drills.... I quietly gloated.... It's hard/impossible to change folks.....

I'm curious where you were taught to consider your bungeed reg your primary, but also carry a long hose "secondary."

If you are speaking to me, I corrected the verbiage to be more accurate to what the photographs shows and what I do in practice. My wording was poor but the photo shows a standard long hose primary configuration and that is what I intended to convey, sorry for the confusion.

As to who taught me what, I am grown up now and no longer need a mentor :) as I can figure things out for myself.

IMG_6370_zps7lu8rnvw.jpg

N

Last edited:
If you are speaking to me, I corrected the verbiage to be more accurate to what the photographs shows and what I do in practice. My wording was poor but the photo shows a standard long hose primary configuration and that is what I intended to convey, sorry for the confusion.

As to who taught me what, I am grown up now and no longer need a mentor :) as I can figure things out for myself.

N

No, I was speaking to the OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom