Which configuration do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't worry about color coding at all. If you want to swap it to the primary then go for it, but most of us have matching second stages and it isn't a problem

There is another reason for donating the primary regulator and that is that you know where it is. If you have the traditional octopus, that regulator is either stuffed in a pocket or keeper or dangling behind you. In an OOA emergency, you don't need to be fumbling for what is your buddy's only source of gas and life. I carry my secondary regulator on a necklace and can have my primary ready to donate and the backup in my mouth in a second or two. My students practice it, and it becomes second nature after about five repetitions. You just have to practice it every now and then. (If you do your practice on a group dive though, be sure to let the DM know before1)

Really, who cares?
A OOA diver will certainly find a reg in your mouth or right under your chin no matter what color it is. I think the color thing is to help deal with all the bizarre ways the 'so called standard' Octo can be stowed.
Having done real OOA with the standard short hoses, and a 7' hose I guarantee you would MUCH rather donate (or get) a 7' hose than have a panicked diver in your face on a short hose.

The long hose convention is donate the primary, and take up the one on the necklace. Mine are both black. On buddy checks with a new diver I always tell them they get the one I'm breathing off.

Thanks so much for the responses! I'm going to be in the pool this weekend and will practice it with my buddy. During my open water check outs I used the long hose as my primary because doing the remove and replace skill with my necklace seemed a little ridiculous as its right there. Even without regard to tech diving, I can totally understand the reasoning behind it.

Follow up question:
If I use the long hose as primary/share, should I put the yellow cover on that regulator so as to distinguish it from the necklace (so the short hose is not reached for)?

If they are the same then why not?

R..

I hadn't even got to the buddy check stage. That is excellent advice!

Also, I like the idea of using the long hose as primary/share so I have one less thing dragging around with the potential of getting snagged on something (not to mention as stated, that there would be less fumbling around looking for it)

The only thing your buddy would see when he is OOA, is the regulator in your mouth that is blowing sexy bubbles and that's what he would grab irrespective of the hose or second stage front cover color.

I'd use the regulator on the 40" hose as my primary and that's what I'd donate to the OOA diver and the regulator on the short hose will be the one I'd switch to when I donate my primary/long hose. The second stage with the shorter hose will be in a necklace under my chin.

I use identical second stages on the long and short hose so no one is better than the other. If I had one second stage that is better than the other, I'd use the better second stage as the primary/long hose second stage and the "lessor" second stage on the short hose/backup second.

Last edited:
... a panicked out of air diver could conceivably rip the regulator out of my mouth....

All the real world cases where people had to deal with someone out of air had their regs ripped out of their mouths. I'd be curious to hear about other people's experiences.

If someone OOA is behind you, they will have an easier time getting your primary than your alternate.

This is why I encourage/teach my students to have their OOA on a necklace, as it is below their chin (and inside the triangle from the ribs to the chin) and easy to obtain. Just have to watch out for free flows when getting into the water.

I have identical second stages, so that won't be an issue. Thanks again for all of the responses! I'm pretty sure that's the way I'm going to configure in the future after doing some pool practice. I'm taking my NAUI advanced class next week, with my checkouts in Key West over Labor Day weekend. I'm sure I'll have plenty of pool time to practice and get comfortable with it. I hope my instructor agrees with the consensus! (I'm pretty sure he will)

Back
Top Bottom