Which change to make first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have > 100 dives, used rental gear for only the first 4. All the rest have been with my SeaQuest Balance back inflate BCD (which I have been pleased with), and all have been wetsuit dives. 13 of that total have been warm water dives, with the rest being in either a 7mm 1 piece or a 7mm 2 piece.

I have treated myself to a HOG BP/W, SS plate & 32lb wing. I am looking forward to taking some weight off and shifting weight from my belt to my back.

I have also opportunistically bought a used White's Catalyst 360, too good a deal to pass up although it was not something I had planned on buying. I like the idea of diving dry, but I am not sure how I will like it in practice, particularly carrying the extra weight and having a second bubble to manage.

Once I enter the water this spring, I have what I see as three options:

1) BP/W & dry
2) BP/W and wet
3) Balance and dry

My intention is to take instruction for the dry suit so I can get some practical help with problem resolution, managing the bubble, and trimming out. So I am thinking it is best to do this with the BP/W so I only have to make the adjustment once, rather than doing #3 and then #1 as my progression. But I am not sure that I want to deal with all of the changes implied by #1 at the same time - I don't think I would get the most out of the dry suit course.

So I leaning towards #2, and doing some dives in the BP/W first to get used to it. Even though this means I would pass on a possible earlier starting dive season (although my regular buddy would still be diving wet). I could take the dry suit course later spring or during the summer and be ready to take advantage of a longer fall season.

Thoughts?

You had already purchased both the BP/W and the dry suit if I read correctly. And you already have the logical answer ie. (2) follow by (1).
Sell the Balance.

The change from wet to dry is a much larger change than that from Balance to BP/W. For the latter is mainly just getting used to where the controls and rings are...it is a matter of some dives to get your hands moving automatically to the right places. You can do this in a swimming pool starting bnow! And it won't take many dives.

if you are not going to use the Balance any more, I'd not keep on using it. Focus on the drysuit and getting used to it. It is not as hard as you seem to be thinking. Some decent instruction, then some quality time in the water.

Nothing wrong with #2 then #1 as a very conservative approach, but I see no point to #3. Also, #2 will be a short event. Not a big gamble to start with #1.

For me, going dry was a "game changer". It definitely improved my diving enjoyment. However, switching from a BCD to a backplate has been less of an improvement. Although on the whole I like my bp/w, I could easily switch back to my bcd and still enjoy my diving every bit as much. So if I were in your position I'd make the drysuit change first.

IOW, I am probably over thinking it :)

Not unusual for me. Also a symptom of too much dry time to mull it over I am sure :)

If you are using your wet suit first then make sure you do not trim off too much of the harness because you will need the extra length for the dry.
The ball is in your court. Have fun.

I think just plan a couple of shake down dives that are cheap and easy to work out your trim and get your self organized. You were probably going to do that anyway. If you have a problem with getting used to the gear, you can always take a step back... Go with #1.

So I am thinking it is best to do this with the BP/W so I only have to make the adjustment once, rather than doing #3 and then #1 as my progression.
You have answered your own question. :)
But I am not sure that I want to deal with all of the changes implied by #1 at the same time - I don't think I would get the most out of the dry suit course.
While I can appreciate your concern, going with option #1 will not necessarily diminish the take-away value of a GOOD drysuit course. The change to BP/W is not as 'big' as learning to dive dry. But, both changes require you to a) optimize weighting, and b. optimize trim. You will have to size the BP harness (and work out proper placement of D-rings) for your wetsuit, and that may involve some trial and error. Why not just start out doing it for your drysuit? If your drysuit fits well, I would be surprised if you have much reason to continue using a 7mm westuit. Any water cold enough to require a 7mm is cold enough to warrant diving a drysuit.

You have 100 dives with rental gear, I presume you did not get the same BCD every time, so you are used to fumbling for controls.
Go with option #1 and take a drysuit course. The instructor will help you with weighting and trim issues.

Back
Top Bottom