where's the best place to sell vintage scuba gear in orange sounty ca?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Mike in the assessment that the mask auction wasn't rigged. I looked at the bid history, and the bids were placed at the last minute - definitely with the use of snipers (note: I use snipers as well...) They apparently put a large enough price to make sure they got it... and they sure got it :D If it was shill bidding, it would've taken place long before the end of the auction, not at the very end (well, usually at least).

Hello Sam,I know who Charlie is.I have a dive magazine with is mailing label on it.That is starange.I have a few post cards with him and others at Jade cove.Getting Jade of course.I have a few magazine with articles of him also.A Caly great.Ron M has one of his mask also.I have seen some like his.But,unless it's signed how would one really know?Unless he gave you one.I have seen articles on making your own mask from old fire hose.Maybe it was his article.A Jack Prodonavich speargun is on ebay right now.The B4 mask is big,it doesn't fit me at all.People want them because Lloyd used them in Sea Hunt.

Ron has Laura Sturgil, Charlie's widow's mask for display at a museum. It is on a loan.

At the Father's of Spearfishing and Diving about 20 years ago we questioned almost every one in attendance, lots of frames, a few fames and lens, but only three complete masks.

I think the picture you have of Charlie is taken at Palo Verdes. I knew Charlie for many many years and can't recall him going to Jade Cove.

Check out Scuba Diving and Recreation Center in Northwest Ohio - Portage Quarry Legends of diving "The Mask' for a picture and and a detailed description of it's construction.

As I say on 40 made and most accounted for and most in peices,

SDM

I'd like a link to that auction that went for $200.

So would I!:wink::wink:

Upon the op's suggestion, I did check completed auctions for "depth gauge" in "watersports" going back two weeks. If the "over $200" USD gauge "just" sold it should have shown up. Perhaps it was listed under some obscure description that the op happened upon. Anyway, here are all of the same type models of US Divers depth gauges I found (AFAIK, no one has quantified that any one of the various models of 100', 150' or 200' gauges are any rarer than the others):

200' gauge- SOLD- $21.62
U.S. Divers Depth-Master I Scuba Diving Gauge Used - eBay (item 230656539973 end time Aug-12-11 10:16:54 PDT)

200' gauge- SOLD- $13.06
Vintage US Divers Aqua Lung Wrist Depth Gauge Master 1 | eBay

150' gauge -SOLD- $12.50
AQUA-LUNG US DIVERS DEPTH - MASTER III GAUGE 0-150 FT. | eBay

Now here's one to compare. It's a 100' gauge, New-In-EXCELLENT-Box, which sold for $99 with ONE bid in a SEVEN day auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250862166224

Anyways, Rocklgnd2b, I know I'm coming across as a bit of a pain, but I'm only pointing this out for your own good to save you time and disappointment. Believe me, we vintage divers KNOW for how much those gauges commonly sell. But, if you really did see one just sell on eBay for over $200, then who am I to say?:idk:

Now if you have a US Navy non magnetic depth gauge to sell, $$$$

So would I!:wink::wink:

Upon the op's suggestion, I did check completed auctions for "depth gauge" in "watersports" going back two weeks. If the "over $200" USD gauge "just" sold it should have shown up. Perhaps it was listed under some obscure description that the op happened upon. Anyway, here are all of the same type models of US Divers depth gauges I found (AFAIK, no one has quantified that any one of the various models of 100', 150' or 200' gauges are any rarer than the others):

200' gauge- SOLD- $21.62
U.S. Divers Depth-Master I Scuba Diving Gauge Used - eBay (item 230656539973 end time Aug-12-11 10:16:54 PDT)

200' gauge- SOLD- $13.06
Vintage US Divers Aqua Lung Wrist Depth Gauge Master 1 | eBay

150' gauge -SOLD- $12.50
AQUA-LUNG US DIVERS DEPTH - MASTER III GAUGE 0-150 FT. | eBay

Now here's one to compare. It's a 100' gauge, New-In-EXCELLENT-Box, which sold for $99 with ONE bid in a SEVEN day auction.
Vintage New US Divers Scuba Diving Depth Gauge NIB | eBay

Anyways, Rocklgnd2b, I know I'm coming across as a bit of a pain, but I'm only pointing this out for your own good to save you time and disappointment. Believe me, we vintage divers KNOW for how much those gauges commonly sell. But, if you really did see one just sell on eBay for over $200, then who am I to say?:idk:

Dagnabit! And I was about to take all my sea-vue gauges and make hundreds to buy real vintage gear...:eyebrow:

To the OP, bear in mind, most of the posters here right now are your potential market, and I'm sure you'll realize that its not a very large community. Most of these guys do their homework regarding equipment costs, so taking all that into consideration, your best bet would still be eBay to reach a wider audience, and hopefully find that one person who wants your items THAT badly... As the prices DB posted indicate, $200 (link please...) is the exception, and not the norm.

Good luck.

:admingreet: Hey guys, the OP dropped out at post #17....... though I love your passion. The coroner has visited, and this cat has been confirmed as beaten to death..... :coffee:

:admingreet: Hey guys, the OP dropped out at post #17....... though I love your passion. The coroner has visited, and this cat has been confirmed as beaten to death..... :coffee:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check my post # 27 ...he has moved on....and was possibly one of them,
OC is full of Ex US Divers employees who just happen to have diving equipment from the early 1970s............

SDM
SDM

i was 1 year old in the 70's. i highly doubt i couldve been employed there. you guys are real sharp. i think you watch to much CSI. I really did seel that same watch sell for 200 bucks. sorry if you cant find it but i didnt just make up a number. And you could possibly be right about someone driving up the bid as a team. that's why i chose to come on this site because you cant always believe in Ebay, or E-Scam i should say. so would somene like to actually appraise my gear or just continue to talk **** on it? I thought this site would be more about scuba experts rather than random crap talking. whether my stuff is worth one or a 1000 dollars i would just like to know. I bought this stuff at an estate sale. the old man died and I was told he use to own a dive shop on the east coast. I thought Id take a chance on it since some of it was still in box. So Im just trying to find out if it was a good or bad purchase

Back
Top Bottom