Where's the best diving in the Carribean during winter months?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blah! Wait for bus, spend over an hour on bus, drag bags to ferry dock, wait for ferry, 45 minutes ride, drag bags to street, return: bus tickets, ferry tickets - you have to save a lot to make that worthwhile. But you have more flight so to chose from, too.

Not the best but it'll work. More for the non-divers to do. A day trip to Chichen Itza & Ek Balam ruins would be neat.

Don is absolutely correct concerning the hassle of Cancun and trying to go back and forth to CZM. Don't get me wrong, though. If you are going on what is a basic family trip and just plan on slipping away a day ot two to get in some diving, then staying in Cancun and taking the ferry to CZM to dive might work for you.

BUT!! There has been a huge increase in violence in Cancun recently! Some of it targeting tourists. For that reason alone I would rule out a vacation to anywhere on the mainland at this point!... I just don't think it is a particularly safe place to be right now.

Now, for my other two cents worth!... This thread started out asking the best place to dive in the winter months.

With that in mind, I think Cozumel would still not be my first choice!.. Why? Well it is still too cold for my liking that time of year and "Nortes" frequently blow in closing the port. Keep in mind that CZM is at 20 degrees 30 mins north latitude.

My suggestion would be to look at Grenada. It is located at 12 degrees north making it about as close to the equator as any place that I can get to (from Texas) in one days travel time. It is pretty much the same temperature day-in-day-out year round!

But wait! There's more!... In addition to having some great diving, there is also a world of things for non-divers to enjoy. It is an absloutely beautiful island with a very strong British influence and a wonderful history. There are beautiful mountains, spice plantations, historical villages from the 1700's to 1800's and much more to explore!

And the diving is first class! If you are into technical or rebreather diving, I suggest checking out Aquanauts Grenada. They happily accomodate all levels of divers form brand new to ultra experienced tech divers! And, they will gladly train you while you are there to whatever level of competence you care to achieve! (No, this is not an add for them and I do not work for them! LOL... I am just very impressed with their professionalism! )

The Bianca-C is a "don't miss" dive. Known as the "Titantic of the Caribbean" she rests in 165' of water and is accessible by divers with AOW certs and above. If you have at least a Decompression Certifiction you will be able to spend much more time safely exploring her.

That's my take on the whole issue!... For what little it's worth! :D

My vote would be Bonaire... that place is amazing

Bill, I didn't see this news...?
There has been a huge increase in violence in Cancun recently! Some of it targeting tourists. For that reason alone I would rule out a vacation to anywhere on the mainland at this point!... I just don't think it is a particularly safe place to be right now.
I know of some local, violent incidents yes, but none in tourist areas nor involving tourists? I can think of one case with a bus load of "tourists" lost in the Acapulco area on the Pacific, Mexican tourists on a guys vacation, but even that is suspected to have been a cartel ruse.

Mexico is not the safe place is was in the 60s no, where high school kids could hit Jaurez and Tijuana for cheap, safe drunks, and there are certainly cautions to take even in safer tourist areas like Ilsa Cancun or anywhere else one travels - but Cancun Island is still on my safe list I think. I spent one night in the Market area on the Cancun mainland last year, felt quite safe, but there were armed soldiers at every hotel door - some of them staying on my floor.

And the tollway from Cancun to Valladolid is super nice, altho a little boring to drive - two hours with only a pitstop at the toll plaza, with Chichen Itza and Ek Balam nearby.

I can think of one case with a bus load of "tourists" lost in the Acapulco area on the Pacific, Mexican tourists on a guys vacation, but even that is suspected to have been a cartel ruse.

So, Don, did you hear today about the mass grave that has just been discovered outside of Acapulco?..... Well, it seems that they have "unearthed" your missing bus load of tourists! :shocked2:

I was, however, partially wrong concerning some of the violence in Cancun that I referenced...

In late August there was an incident in which a bar/club in Cancun was fire bombed killing eight (8) people. Early on I was of the impression that it involved tourists. But, on futher investigation today, I find that it was outside of the "usual tourist areas", and those killed were locals.

But, I still stick by my feeling that with all of the greatly escalating violence that is occurring in Mexico that I would be VERY reluctant to consider a vacation on the mainland at this time!

Even if tourists are not being deliberately targeted, isn't there a highly increased risk that you may accidently get caught up in a battle between cartels or a cartel and the law? :idk:

And look at what happened to the jet skier on Falcon Reservoir!...And, yes, I know it is a border lake , and no where on the border is it safe now! But,,,,,,

No, mainland Mexico is just not safe enough for me to feel comfortable these days!

So, Don, did you hear today about the mass grave that has just been discovered outside of Acapulco?..... Well, it seems that they have "unearthed" your missing bus load of tourists! :shocked2:

I was, however, partially wrong concerning some of the violence in Cancun that I referenced...

In late August there was an incident in which a bar/club in Cancun was fire bombed killing eight (8) people. Early on I was of the impression that it involved tourists. But, on futher investigation today, I find that it was outside of the "usual tourist areas", and those killed were locals.

But, I still stick by my feeling that with all of the greatly escalating violence that is occurring in Mexico that I would be VERY reluctant to consider a vacation on the mainland at this time!

Even if tourists are not being deliberately targeted, isn't there a highly increased risk that you may accidently get caught up in a battle between cartels or a cartel and the law? :idk:

And look at what happened to the jet skier on Falcon Reservoir!...And, yes, I know it is a border lake , and no where on the border is it safe now! But,,,,,,

No, mainland Mexico is just not safe enough for me to feel comfortable these days!
Yeah, I was referencing that story in my previous post. That bus load of tourists was found in the pit, but it's questionable that they were tourists; they were Mexican, not Americans.

And yeah, Cancun city has seen more than one case of violence lately, but not on the island and not involving tourists. I think Cozumel Island has had more drug-war deaths than Cancun Island. 40 years ago there were only 3 people living on Isla Cancun, but the Bank of Mexico (part of the national government) developed it to attract Americans - which worked well since they have cleaner water than Galveston and more liberal liquor laws in the 20th century at least. These days, the Federales keep it pretty well protected to ensure the cash cow is kept productive.

Now, I do agree that there are parts of Mexico that I would not tour or return to, like anywhere on the US border and I'm not too sure about the west coast - but the Gulf coast and the Yucatan are relative safe, with prudence. There are a lot of areas on Amarillo Boulevard I wouldn't want to break down in as well.

But I am find driving my rental car along the hiway from Cancun to Tulum, inland to Coba, Valladolid, Chichen Itza, Ek Balam, the freeway or local roads to Cancun, up to Holbox, etc - and have. I've not been to Progreso but my daughter's family is stopping there on a cruise soon (yuck!) and from what I have found online - looks fine as well, safer than some parts of Lubbock.

Of course one should keep in mind that when you leave the US, you leave the US - and many standards are different. Accidents can happen, risks lurk, but the biggest caution remains wear your seat belt on the road.

It would be interesting to see statistics comparing violent crime in various popular parts of Mexico, with similar statistics for American cities. Humans being humans, there is the possibility of violent crime anywhere, and one should always be careful. But my gut feeling is that tourist destinations in Mexico are relatively safe, compared to big cities north of the Rio Bravo. Of course, my "feeling" is just that: the feeling of someone who likes Mexico and its people. Personally, I'd be more concerned about bad air than crime, although I'd exercise caution with regard to both.

I agree. There is much discussion about crime and mexico, but people aren't taking into account that WORLDWIDE there are criminals that target tourists.

My boss, a few years ago, went to Rome with a bunch of school kids and got his wallet lifted by a pickpocket. I haven't heard anyone saying don't go to Rome. Ditto Las Vegas... everyone knows that criminals are there, looking for drunk tourists to mug, yet no one says stay away from Vegas! It is important to keep in mind that tourists are a target, no matter what country.

Now border towns in Mexico are a different situation... that is violence with other motives and unfortunately Americans are getting killed. That isn't just petty crime or theft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom