Where would you keep cash on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just curious about where do people keep the cash on liveaboards. As I understand there are no safes, is it a problem?

The first night I take a valve off my tank and put it there. When I dive it is always with me and dry. :snorkel2:

The purser has a safe. Foreign liveaboards have cash onboard. US based ones, not so much. And we have had passengers steal from each other. And, you know, you just know who it was, but you can't prove anything.... I have a safe, but not all US based liveaboards do. The Captain should have a place safe in his cabin. When we were in Texas, I liked my non-badge wearing passengers to leave their weapons with me and not in their car. I had to get a bigger safe....

I leave my wallet in the drawer. Nothing has ever been taken. We only close the door to sleep also. I guess I figure that fundamentally the 20 or so other guests also don't want their trip ruined by a thief in their midst either. IDK about you but I'm talking several hundred for the crew tip - at most. I like to give them cash as it gets distributed to them faster than charging it to the boat. Plus a little to get home on.

Keep cash in a readily accessible (in the dark) watertight plastic bag that will fit easily into your pocket, along with your credit cards, passport, computer hard drive, camera memory flash cards, log book, and anything you might actually need in case the boat sinks ... do not bring with you precious photos of your parents pets or children, expensive jewelry, or anything else that if lost at sea would make you cry. Also keep in the same place a small pocket waterproof flashlight so that you can find your way out of the cabin in the dark while the boat is at a crazy angle.

Last edited:
If you are as broke and poor as I am, then it is not a big deal to carry the dimes, nickels, and rare quarter with me at all times.

Siren Fleet has instituted a policy of collecting all passports at the beginning of the trip. They go in a waterproof bag and it is one person's responsibility in an emergency to collect this bag. They had a couple of "incidents" and found that when people abandon ship passports are not easily found and dealing with that issue afterwards was a serious pain.

For the small amount of cash I carry (enough for a tip at the end) I leave it in my luggage.

lock your suitcase, you don't have a lock on your suitcases for the flights?
my carryon has a built in lock, that's where i keep all valuables that don't fit in the safe or there is no safe provided

the toilet tank is another good place to store stuff, i doubt the boats have that tho
anyway, i'm sure you can find a good hiding spot

Cash??? what is that? The least of my worries, my dive gear and electronics are worth more than the cash I carry.

Frank how much did it cost ya to install a gun safe on the Spree?

Back
Top Bottom