Where would you keep cash on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My cash sits in my wallet on the little table thingy near the head of the bed. Along with my phone, my sunglasses, a hat, headphones, a book, a bunch of clean underwear (I think those are the clean ones...) and all my other important stuff.

Never really worried about it. I figure that my room will be the last one to be robbed.

But we did have one passenger on a recent live aboard that was bugging the crew to get a key to her room. She stopped nagging them once they pointed out the door did not have a lock. Sigh...

at cocoview all the rooms have locks and keys. And there're is a board in the common room where you can hang up your room key while you are out diving...

I schlepp a Pelican case on trips for my camera gear. Once I'm at my destination, it becomes my safe. Laptop, wallet, passport all go into it. I padlock it, and use a cable lock to attach it to bed frame or something.

If someone really wants it, they'll take it, but it keeps the honest people honest, as the saying goes...

---------- Post added May 12th, 2014 at 10:01 PM ----------

LMAO... Only in the USA! :wink:

LMAO... Only in the USA! :wink:

That's really funny. I had a NATO SF dive team last weekend. They said the exact same thing. I guess we're getting a reputation wordwide...

Just curious about where do people keep the cash on liveaboards. As I understand there are no safes, is it a problem?

Hi Texasguy

All Siren Fleet liveaboards have personal safes in the cupboard of each cabin - odd to read that others do not, though I have seen safes in many other liveaboards too (blue o two and tornado fleet in the Red Sea for example).

Theft is not typically an issue on any boat but it could ruin a trip and the on board atmosphere so why take the chance? if there is a safe provided best to use it or ask the cruise director to store your valuables.

Cheers
Siren Fleet Marketing Manager

During the day I put my meager reserves of cash inside my camera housing (secured so they don't drift in front of the lens), at night in my skivvies. In my years of international diving including many very poor countries I have never had an incident... yet.

enjoy your trip and dive like you own the boat.

people spend most of their time outside the rooms, you only go to your room if you wana sleep, if weather is ok, people sleep under the moon light. there was a tv in my room, never in those 7 days have i turned on that tv.

i was sharing a room with a guy from manchester, on my first day, i left my wallet in the closet next to my bed, on maybe the third day, while looking for my perfume, by mistake i opend his closet thinking its mine, and i found out that he also left his wallet.

enjoy your diving and don't stress your self

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom