Where was the best visibility you ever encountered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Choc Mool Cave outside Playa Del Carmen. Impossible to estimate visibility as it was just like clear air. When you come through the halocline (sp?) from Salt water at the bottom and fresh water on top....you almost think about taking your regulator out of your mouth because if seems like you just crested the surface. That clear.

Cozumel at 120'. It was amazing! You could see the snorkelers on the surface along side the boat.

DiverBuoy:
Lol, hmm. I've never known you to be without one, let me reflect on the meaning a bit more.

There are five possibilities.

1. Horizontal and vertical viz identical

2. Horizontal viz slightly better than vertical viz

3. Horizontal viz a great deal better than vertical viz

4. Vertical viz slightly better than horizontal viz

5. Vertical viz a great deal better than horizontal viz

Maybe I'm missing some, but that's the way I see it. In real life, I've seen all five come to pass. What is there about it that leaves room for an opinion? If I had an opinion, it wouldn't matter, viz is the way you find it.

N. side of Roatan - July '02. - 130ft.

Walter:
There are five possibilities.

1. Horizontal and vertical viz identical

2. Horizontal viz slightly better than vertical viz

3. Horizontal viz a great deal better than vertical viz

4. Vertical viz slightly better than horizontal viz

5. Vertical viz a great deal better than horizontal viz

Maybe I'm missing some, but that's the way I see it. In real life, I've seen all five come to pass. What is there about it that leaves room for an opinion? If I had an opinion, it wouldn't matter, viz is the way you find it.

No doubt this is true for you. I on the other hand have seen only three basic scenarios - but then again I've only ever dove 12 different lands and island groups, there's certainly a lot more of the underwater world to see.

1) Vertical visiblity was between 33% to 100% greater than horizontal visibility
2) No vertical visiblity lots of horizontal vis (below algae bloom)
3) No vis either vertically or horizontally

It's been such a while since I had a dive with great vis, can thank all the hurricanes/tropical storms for that.

Anyway it would have to be at a site called Yow's (Runaway Bay, Jamaica) perhaps 80ft on the day :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom