Where was the best visibility you ever encountered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bad vis is also known as normal working conditions means I can't see anything.
Good vis means I can see something.
Great vis means that I can see it before I can touch it.

The best vis was being able to see about 6" (yes, inches) when it let me find and fix the leaking flange on a pipe plug in a few minutes instead of several hours to pull the plug, do the repair and put it back with the lost time to the customer due to the plug leaking down and letting the water through.

The longest vis was something more than 100'. I had no way to measure but the bottom was clear from the surface at a depth of 80'.

I am more interested in what I can see than how far I can see.

Cozumel 250+ ft late fall happens most often. Have asked several times about why and not really sold in any of the many explanations i've received.
Cenote Dos ojos, about 200-250 ft. All year round.

pipedope:
Bad vis is also known as normal working conditions means I can't see anything.
Good vis means I can see something.
Great vis means that I can see it before I can touch it.

The best vis was being able to see about 6" (yes, inches) when it let me find and fix the leaking flange on a pipe plug in a few minutes instead of several hours to pull the plug, do the repair and put it back with the lost time to the customer due to the plug leaking down and letting the water through.

The longest vis was something more than 100'. I had no way to measure but the bottom was clear from the surface at a depth of 80'.

I am more interested in what I can see than how far I can see.

Thanks pipe dope I used your name sake this week to fix the the domestic coil on my boiler!

Coldblue:
Cozumel 250+ ft late fall happens most often. Have asked several times about why and not really sold in any of the many explanations i've received.
Cenote Dos ojos, about 200-250 ft. All year round.

Are the Cenotes safe to dive for a newbie? Is there much life or anything? Does it just look like a regular cave with stalactites and not much else??:06:

es601:
Are the Cenotes safe to dive for a newbie? Is there much life or anything? Does it just look like a regular cave with stalactites and not much else??:06:

It is a flooded cave, and there's life in them. There's a blurry "layer" where fresh and salt water try to mix. Feels like going through a false floor/ceiling. Simply breathtaking. IMO any written description will not do it justice. It's something you have to do at least once in your diving life.

For full, true enjoyment i'd suggest this dive once you feel very comfortable about your diving skills (buoyancy, trim, etc). A local diving guide should be able to pick a cenote that would fit a newbie. There are cenotes with big open chambers that allow you to see 200 ft around without narrow passages. Cenote dos Ojos is a good example.

CB

At the Coon River Pond today the visibility was at least 250 feet and the water was 84 degrees F. What a wonderful place......

es601:
OK I think most of us would admit that diving definitely about seeing, so where and when was the absolute best visibility you have ever encountered and what was your guesstimate of the distance??:06: For ex. Little Cayman in April 150' etc.

Nusa Penida, Bali...July 2004 about 40-50 m. I dive this site many times. average vis is 20 m.

I dove in a cenote south of Cancun in July of 2004. Once I passed through the layer where the fresh water and brine mix the vis was unbelievable.

Bill B.

Back
Top Bottom