Where to take the wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradB

Registered
Reaction score
Heres the deal. My wife and I plan on doing the October 25th/26th party. We already have our reservations on the boat and look forward to the shore dive. She finished OW several months back, did great, and has not been back in the water since. We have just been too busy getting 3 kids settled into college and other life experiences. I would like to get her back into the water before the big ScubaBoard bash. I am more experienced , with 70+ dives, most spearing in 100' to 120', most pretty much solo and many in non-ideal conditions. We live in the Orlando area and I do not mind driving a couple of hours. So here is the question! What would be the most funnest, easiest spring ,river or shore dive I could take her on over the next few weeks to get her in the groove for the Scubaboard Conch Divers gathering. I would particularly be interested in working with her on ascents/descents, she actually did pretty well with bouyancy on her OW. I am not that interested in some small, silted up spring.

Ginnie Springs!

Several dives for the novice there. The main basin, the run from Little Devil to the Devil's Eye and a drift dive from the Devil's Ear down the Santa Fe to the main basin. Vis is always great, rarely kicked up and if so, it's sand and clears quickly. Go during the week and you'll have the place all to yourself.

Ginnie is in High Springs near Alachua.

www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com

The dive is dependant on the tides. You enter the water 1/3 hour before high tide and exit 1/2 hour afterwards. Max depth 18' avg depth 10'/ Lots of sea life. Its located in West Palm Beach. I recommend doing the west side of the bridge. The dive is also free. Not even a charge for parking. Here is a site with good info on the dive.

http://www.wadespage.com/D800DS06RF01.shtml

I agree with Wendy, Blue Heron Bridge is a good primer for a beach dive. She will have some of the same conditions- not very deep, entry and exit, currents...
The one thing I suggest, it is to add a couple extra pounds of weight to offset the shallow depth.

Any of the state parks that allow diving would be sure bet... this includes Alexander, Manatee and Troy Springs, all of which would be absolutely fine for a beginner and at $5 a piece won't break the bank. Also, there's Blue Springs which is closer to Orlando than the other three I mentioned, however I've never been, so I can't comment on how it is for a beginner dive.

If you want any more information feel free to PM me.

Ben

Edit: forgot about Royal... heard it's a decent dive, but never been there myself, I need to go sometime.

are you in??? I am always running classes which puts me into Alexander Springs as well as ocean dives.

My only two post cert dives so far have been Blue Springs and Blue Heron. Both EXCELLENT dives and I felt very comfortable at both as a beginner.

We did Blue Springs by ourselves. Beautiful clear water. Long trek from the parking lot to the diver's entry point, but thats the only negative.

Blue Heron we did with our OW instructors turned friends. LOTS and LOTS of creatures to see. I had an urge to clean it up a bit until I realized that the cans and bottles have become home to some creatures. Did an hour under and had enough air to probably do another 20 mins but the current picked up and from what I understand that a sure sign its time to head up. Can't wait to do that one again and again!!!

My only regret is that there aren't too many halfway decent dive sites in Melbourne. But then again it gets me out of the county!!! LOL :eek:ut:

Laurel- The Frog Queen
:royal:

Thanks everyone those sound like some good alternatives. Net Doc if you are in Altamonte I am about 5 miles from ya, we live in Maitland. Ginnie sounds good and I also wanted to do Blue Heron. We actually went to Blue Heron and checked it out.Were gonna dive it before my wifes afternoon OW dives. But there was no parking anywhere near it, the park was slam full. There were boats everywhere and there was a sign on what appeared to be the entry beach on the west side that said"No diving."So that one I think I will do when we can hook up with someone who has done it before.

Brad...you're right. There is a sign saying no diving, swimming or wading. I have no idea why but thats where the divers go in and there were kids swimming too. Anyone care to elaborate as to why the sign is there and/or why we ignore it?? LOL

Laurel- The Frog Queen
:royal:

Thanks for the sign verification Brat, I did not think I was hallucinating when I saw the sign, just maybe at the wrong place. I would hate to surface to find the SWAT team ready to apprehend us law breakers. I personally have a hobby that entails the possibilty of encountering law enforcement in a negative way but my wife would FREAK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom