where to stay on Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been there and will be back the end of next week as well. You can equate the Treasure Island to a highly trafficated Ramada. Rooms show the wear but are of good size. I find it the best value for your money on Seven Mile beach though. Pool is nice, there is beach, restaurant is OK but not the best. Figure I'll put the money into the diving rather than the room. Been to the Marriot as well but Treasure Island is 1/3 the price and has a better pool.

Kev

Thanks. For the $, decided on Treasure Island as this is the first time staying there.

Last time there dove with Bob Soto, but wasn't really impressed with them although there were only 8 of us on the dive.

A friend recommended diving the East Wall as it isn't as crowded as some of the other dive spots..... While I only have 15 dives under my belt, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Penny

Penny,

If your going to dive the East side you probably want to stay down that end. I like Treasure Island because I can walk to alot of places for dinner and there is life there. Can eat for $5 or $50 depending on my mood. Basically it is at the start of the hotel strip on Seven Mile Beach. Nice sidewalk along the road so you can walk to Lonestar Bar and Grill (favorite bar) and a ton of other places.

I haven't been to the East side, but from what I understand it is very quiet and not alot down there besides a few hotels and the dive shops. The ride from Treasure Island to the East side is probably around 45 minutes, alot more in the morning as there is a major traffic jam headed into town every morning. Basically one road, one lane, and everyone is using it, faster to walk :D .

On the East end I guess I would dive with Ocean Frontiers and stay at the Royal Reef. Other's on this board have talked highly of it but remember there isn't much life down that end of the island.

I have dove with Bob Soto and DiveTech. Bob Soto was OK, not great, not bad, as you know they have a shop at Treasure Island and typically their package price is decent. You can also book it as a package with your room and possibly save some money. Call Bob Soto direct and see what they offer. At one time for 6 or 7 nights (forget) and 5 days of diving with flight from Miami was $999. That was 2 years ago so probably has changed but worth checking on. Also suggest you get pool view at Treasure Island else you could have a beautiful view of an asphalt parking. Worth the extra $20/night.

DiveTech is a smaller operation but alot of people like them. I'm tech diving from shore and doing classes so can't comment on their regular dives. But I like their personal touch. They pick you up at 7:30AM. But I had no real complaints with Bob Soto either, other have. I think they tend to watch your skill level and then let you do your own thing if you look comfortable in the water. Dive computer is suggested. You can pick one up for $250 or rent one if you don't have one.

Suggest you post a question to Drew as he can probably give you some ideas of the better dive shops given he works at one.

Enjoy your trip,

Kev

Thanks Kev.

What I think that I may do is do a couple of dives with a couple of different operators. May not be the cheapest, but this way I can compare and know for sure.

Just want to get in the water.......

Can't wait.

Land Locked in Dallas.

Penny

Can I follow up on the question posted earlier about whether the east side is suitable for a diver without too much experience? I've got a reservation to stay at the Reef and I plan to dive with Ocean Frontiers there. I've heard two things that seem concerning: 1) there are constant breezes that stir up chop and swell, and 2) the wall dives are not necessarily a place for someone, like me, with 35 dives. I'd really appreciate any feedback.

East End offers some of the more spectacular diving that Grand Cayman has to offer. The dive sites are not crowded and the reefs are healthy. Sounds perfect? It depends.

East End is the windward side of the island. Seven Mile Beach looks like a lake most days compared with East End. We get chop that some people find uncomfortable, though the large majority of folks don't seemed bothered by it at all. Summer provides lightest winds (unless a hurricane is around!) and calmest seas.

A point of advice on this: The weather reporting station in Grand Cayman is at the airport and the forecast wind strength seems to be for the airport. Over open seas the wind may be stronger. We had 4ft seas today (not particularly bad by East End standards) but the wind forecast was for 5-10 knots.

So how bad will it really be? Not as bad as you might think. All three East End dive shops are inside a protective shoal reef that dramatically cuts wave action at the docks. Dive boats can travel to the channel through the reef nearest to leeward (downwind, and presumably calmer) side of the island before heading out into open water.

How about the diving? It's all wall diving for deep dives. Shallow dives may be along the top of the wall, or along a mini-wall about 100-150 yards from the main wall. The mini-wall provides a hard bottom to more easily guage depth.

Occasionally there is a current running, and rarely it can't be avoided. I've done precisely one drift dive in over 500 dives here. You may also find surge if the wind is strong.

Visibility is usually amazing. Cayman has no rivers and minimal run-off. Nutrient run-off is a major contributing factor to algae blooms and poor visibility. Summer offers the best vis but it's hard to properly estimate. By way of example, I remember clearly being able to count the individual rungs on the dive ladder from 100ft deep and a 2 minute horizontal swim from the boat. Amazing! 200+?

Beginners are advised to start with a few shallow dives before dropping over the wall. If you'd rather not dive deep, no problem. You can still see the amazing abyss since the wall starts as shallow as about 45ft. Just looking over the edge is quite spectacular.

We see new divers all the time at Tortuga. We keep an eye out for them and try to slowly present new situations. An in-water guide is a good idea, particularly for those sites that have swim-throughs. We already know which ones connect through.

What is the best way to book with the Tortuga or the Reef? Through a dive shop, resort direct or through a private owner? We are planning on coming the last week of July, and My Daughter and I are newly certified Naui Scuba divers and my wife is a non diver? I would like to do some shore dives if possible as well?

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Tim

PS: I would like to book this week or next at the latest

WirelessOne once bubbled...

What I think that I may do is do a couple of dives with a couple of different operators. May not be the cheapest, but this way I can compare and know for sure.

DiveTech, Ocean Frontiers and FishEye had a three-way package at one time - not sure if it's still in effect. All are top-notch dive ops that will enable you to cover the entire island.

OF will come get you in their van so you don't have to worry about a rental car just to get out to the East End. I'd recommend at least 2 days of East End diving - the walls are fantastic and very little diver traffic so it's very relaxing. OF runs guided wall dives with optional guided reef dives. No extra cost for the guide - just need to tell them you want the DM or Inst to go with you. They know all the best passages in the shallow swim-throughs. Some of my all time favorite shallow dives are just off shore from Tortuga Club. Love those "rooms" packed with silver-sides and tarpon!

A friend of mine did his OW cert dives at East End with no worries. Surface chop can kick up a bit but once you're off the surface the viz and currents are usually excellent! We had quite a few newbies in our group and OF put extra staff on the boat to make sure everyone was well looked after. You can always start off by doing the more shallow reef dives in the afternoons then move to wall dives when you feel more confident. Either way, any good dive op will take good care of you. All of them in the East End are great ops.

OF can book a package deal for diving and a room at the Royal Reef resort nearby. They can also reserve a rental car at better rates than traditional on-line sources.

Tortuga is also a very nice facility with a good dive shop on premises. No first-hand experience diving with them but they have a good relationship with the other dive ops in that area - very cooperative and friendly from what I saw.

I have been out with Ocean Frontiers several times when there have been divers with a wide range of experience. The boat was split into 2 groups,one went and did the deep wall,the other stayed on top of the wall at 60-70 feet.Worked out just fine for everybody. If you talk to them before you go out they will probably be able to accomodate just about everybody

Back
Top Bottom