where to stay on Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timothy Randall once bubbled...
What is the best way to book with the Tortuga or the Reef? Through a dive shop, resort direct or through a private owner? We are planning on coming the last week of July, and My Daughter and I are newly certified Naui Scuba divers and my wife is a non diver? I would like to do some shore dives if possible as well?

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Tim

PS: I would like to book this week or next at the latest

A few options. Usually the best deals are not to be had by booking direct with a resort.

Look at renting from a timeshare owner that won't be using his/her unit. Check out this site for a few ads from owners.

Packages deals can be had that including lodging and diving. Packages for Morritt's can be found here.

You can always keep an eye on EBay or Sky Auction for occasional deals. Flexibility may land a real steal.

Drew and all the "posters",

THANKS! I hope to book with one of the East side places this weekend! Got to get some rest, doing my open water dives for Naui Cert. tomorrow morning in 58 degree water near Seattle Washington. (sure to motivate me to come to the Caymans!)

What fun and great people in the dive community!
Love the site, and all the good information.

Tim "thawmeout" for real tomorrow!

We stayed at Cobalt Coast Resort in March and loved it. Ari and his staff were wonderful. Our package included 5 2 tank boat dives, stingray city, and unlimited shore diving with Dive Tech. Dive Tech is located on the premises and also has another shop at Turtle creek. We really enjoyed the shore dives at Turtle Creek
WWW.Cobaltcoast.com

Rodales 2003 readers voted #1 in the Carribean and I thnk #2 in the world??

Anyway we were on Grand Cayman the week before last. Aside from the diving we looked at the dive resorts throughout the week. Ate at some, dove at some, visited new friends at some.....

I would look at it this way, Do you want to stay in town or not? If not, Cobalt coast is quiet, nice & clean. The Divetech folks are great. The boats are nice. The shore diving is great too.

We Stayed at Brac reef resort on Cayman Brac the week before, for us, it was wonderful.

If you want to be in town, Treasure Island reminds me of Vegas. You will need a car if you want to see the island. I recommend it.

No fish and others,

Thanks for the posts so far! got my certification on Friday and I am really pumped about coming to the Caymans! I am trying to find a place that will be well suited for my wife (non-diver) especially while my Daughter and I are out diving? The Colbalt looks awesome for divers but has no sandy beach? Has anyone been at the Tortuga recently or the Royal Reef on the East side? I have never made reservations at a time share and It looks like it would save some money if we could rent from an "owner" instead of the resort? (Is that commonly done) if so how is one to go about it safely and assure all goes well?

I have heard that the Dive shop at the Tortuga is a good one, any comments about them or Ocean Frontiers?

Thanks,

Tim

The Colbalt looks awesome for divers but has no sandy beach? Has anyone been at the Tortuga recently or the Royal Reef on the East side? I have never made reservations at a time share and It looks like it would save some money if we could rent from an "owner" instead of the resort? (Is that commonly done) if so how is one to go about it safely and assure all goes well?

I have heard that the Dive shop at the Tortuga is a good one, any comments about them or Ocean Frontiers?

Renting a timeshare from an owner does require a bit of trust. You must come to an arrangement on price and payment, but keep in mind that there may be extra charges levied at the resort. Both the Royal Reef and Morritt's will add charges for electricity and the required timeshare tax (about $10us per day).

The owner must call the resort and transfer the week to your name. Sometimes there is an administrative fee for this, so be sure to know up front who is paying that.

The Royal Reef and Morritt's sit on a stretch of beach on East End. The water out front of the resorts is shallow (6-8ft mostly) and protected by a shoal reef 200yards offshore. That reef acts as a wave break, but avoid the temptation to snorkel out there. It is so shallow that it is not living coral, and waves and current can get you in trouble out there. Instead, concentrate snorkeling around the dock at Morritt's and the RR.

I work at Tortuga Divers, so I am a bit biased. All of the East End dive shops have good reputations. Tortuga is a part of Red Sail Sports which has other snorkeling and watersports activities that your family may enjoy.

Thanks for the posts so far! got my certification on Friday

You are going to get spoiled. You are going to a great place to start diving. I wouldn't sweat the details, you almost can't go wrong wherever choose to dive. If you think you missed something, just go again sometime.....

If you're considering East End, don't forget the Cayman Dive Lodge. And you don't have to stay there to dive with them. Check their website. They also post a description and photos of each day's dive. (Yes, I'm a bit of an evangelist for them, and no, they don't pay me. :wink: I'm just a very happy customer!)

lisa4516 once bubbled...
We stayed at Cobalt Coast Resort in March and loved it. Ari and his staff were wonderful. Our package included 5 2 tank boat dives, stingray city, and unlimited shore diving with Dive Tech. Dive Tech is located on the premises and also has another shop at Turtle creek. We really enjoyed the shore dives at Turtle Creek
WWW.Cobaltcoast.com

Yes I agree Lisa, my family and I stayed there last year July 11th and just loved it. The shore diving and snorkling off their dock always had a nice suprise with all the abundent sea life. The people at Divetech are always helpful and their boat dives were never over booked. We are going back and stay with the fine folks at Cobalt Coast. Oh and the food! I could go on and on about that place.

gsw

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom