where to stay in Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stortecky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are looking to head to Puerto Galera this June for 14 days. We are planning on spending 8-10 days diving and the rest site seeing.

I really do not have firm budget but I have seen nice place for under 65 dollars and less. I guess the lower the cost the better. I really do not spend that much time in my room so it does not have to be super nice. I would like a resort that is located on the water.

As for diving we do about 3-4 dives a day so we like to keep the cost down per dive or find a place that offers discount for diving that much a day/week. Also a want a place that will let us stay down till we are low on air. We both have good air control and want to maximize bottom time. If the place has nitrox that would also be great but we can go with out.

I would also like a place that is close to town so that we could walk to different restaurants or take a short cab ride. Food is the second most important thing on a dive trip :D

I know I ask for a lot but really all I want is a bed to sleep in and some great diving. The rest I can work around.

Thanks for your help

I am no expert, but we stayed at El Galleon which was on the water, close to the Sabang restaurants, and dove with Asia Divers/Tech Asia.

The room was nice, had AC and hot water, my main 2 requirements :)

tech asia/Asia Divers were both awesome. Very well run, very efficient and very safe. I would definitely do it the same way next time.

There is no such thing as taxi in PG. All the places that most dives required are within walking distance from Sabang to Big La Laguna.
Sabang Beach, you certainly do not want to lie down there!!
Small La Laguna Beach in high tide is probably no more than couple of ft wide.
Big La Laguna Beach is really small but the best among the other.
Try Frontier Divers for inexpensive package. Angelyn and Step Garden offer good accommodation at low price. Go for the cottage on the hill, the view is grand and forget the beach.

Well . . .if you're bringing the wife, stay away from the hotels in the vicinity of Sabang.

El Galleon Resort is nice, along with the Dive Ops Asia Divers out on their brand new & convenient pier facility. . .

I would suggest to the OP mark at searider. It is a small op with speed boat, can and will go out with 1-4 divers, lets you dive your air. The shop is next to action divers. they have storage for your gears, rinse tanks, showers, bathroom, coffee/tea, and is walkng distance from any of the resorts. Mark will arrange to pick you up and take you back to the ferry dock, and on very short notice can find you accomadations in any price range you request. When I was there last year, I texted him from the ferry, said I wanted a nice clean safe room, ocean view for less than $40.
He found a place the banana moon, $38, next door to their shop. It had 180 degree ocean view, large ass balcony, place to hang all your stuff to dry, full kitchen (never used this), cable, internet, hot water, very nice for the price.
The dive shop is a small place, but run well and very friendly staff. The DM's are good at pointing out critters.
Also, there is a small grocery store next to the resort for beer, drinks. etc. and they are actually cheaper than the markets in sabang.
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. while places like the El Galleon and Atlantis are very nice, I personally like the smaller family owned and run operations.

Hi Stortecky,

I'd recommend La Laguna Beach Club or Asia Divers (El Galleon) as the best resorts for a couple, however there's a lot more resorts nearby which offer cheaper accommodation. (www.llbc.com and Beach Resort Philippines. Scuba Diving Vacations.)

I've not dived with them but there is a lot of good reports for Sea Riders in PG (http://www.seariderdivecenter.com/) who offer the dives you are looking for at the cheapest rates and who should be able to arrange accommodation to meet your budget.

Almost all accommodation is on the water - although some may stretch the definition of 'on' a little further than others! Most of the cheaper accommodation is near Sabang which is great for single people up for a party but not great for couples - Small La Laguna is probably the best option for price vs distance from Sabang.

I like Big La Laguna as it's a bit further away from the party area and generally a much nicer place to be - Cambells Resort (the last resorts on Big La Laguna) has cheap accommodation (Campbell's Beach Resort, Big La Laguna Beach, Puerto Galera, Philippines)but is a relatively long distance (but still easily walk able) from most of the other PG resorts (except La Laguna Beach Club)

There's a few decent places to eat in the main La Laguna/Sabang stretch - La Laguna Bach Club, El Galleon and Atlantis resorts all have good food on offer.

The main town is a very long walk so getting a 'taxi' is the best option - this will be in the form of a small boat or tricycle from behind the main resorts though. there's more options in the resort areas than the town to be honest so I'd stay local for the food options - there's enough variety to keep you happy for 8-10 days.

Hope that helps!

Karl

I will be there 26 to 30 December and will use this room for rent behind Mark's dive shop called Shache Inn in Small Laguna. They quoted $65 for a big room that will accommodate my family of 4, separate kitchen, hot and cold water, cable TV, nice balcony right beside the owner's grocery and adjacent to China Moon resto with a great chef. Did the same last year and looking forward to doing it again with Searider. A call to Mark upon ferry docking gets a free pickup right beside the ferry without touchig down the beach. Great and fantastic service which is why I will do it again.

Well . . .if you're bringing the wife, stay away from the hotels in the vicinity of Sabang.

El Galleon Resort is nice, along with the Dive Ops Asia Divers out on their brand new & convenient pier facility. . .

Why would you not want to stay near with sabang with the wife?

Stayed there 2007, 24/7 food and diving was the best. Shore diving offered a deep dive :popcorn:(120ft) ship wreck, lots of critters, easy shore swim back to the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom