Dauin + Malapaskcua + Busugana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jordan23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, we are macro muck lovers. We have been diving in places like Puerto Galera, Anilao, and Romblon in the past, and now we are heading to Dauin in April. How many dive days are recommended? We are looking for a nice accommodation on the beach, preferably a small one with great dive spots nearby. Which dive sites are the best? Is it worth adding Malapascua to our itinerary (excluding the thresher shark)? We are also considering adding Busuanga because of the dugong center nearby. Has anybody done it? Thanks for the reply.

There is macro at Malapascue but it's not known for it. It is also at the other end of the Visayas from Dauin so adds complexity to your trip's logistics. How much time...as much as you can I'd think...7-14 days would be a good start. Liquid, Pura Vida, and Atmosphere are luxe accommodations. If you want superb macro dives, get in touch with Justin of Critter Republic, which is located at Sierra Resort (mid-market).

Hi, we are macro muck lovers. We have been diving in places like Puerto Galera, Anilao, and Romblon in the past, and now we are heading to Dauin in April. How many dive days are recommended? We are looking for a nice accommodation on the beach, preferably a small one with great dive spots nearby. Which dive sites are the best? Is it worth adding Malapascua to our itinerary (excluding the thresher shark)? We are also considering adding Busuanga because of the dugong center nearby. Has anybody done it? Thanks for the reply.
Dauin is NOT as good as Anilao. It is your holiday so you have to decide on the duration.
Bongo bongo divers.
Malaspascua is more than just thresher shark eg. mandarin fish near the light house.
Busuanga is better known for the wrecks.
Dauin, Apo Island, Siquijor and Sipalay will save you a lot of time and money on transfer(Malapascua + Busuanga). Exit Sipalay from Bacolod to Manila. There is no need to backtrack back to Dumaguete.

Dauin is NOT as good as Anilao. It is your holiday so you have to decide on the duration.
Bongo bongo divers.
Malaspascua is more than just thresher shark eg. mandarin fish near the light house.
Busuanga is better known for the wrecks.
Dauin, Apo Island, Siquijor and Sipalay will save you a lot of time and money on transfer(Malapascua + Busuanga). Exit Sipalay from Bacolod to Manila. There is no need to backtrack back to Dumaguete.
i saw pic of bungo its not something i want to sleep in, busuanga is just for seeing the dugong near its calauit safari park do u know it?

i saw pic of bungo its not something i want to sleep in, busuanga is just for seeing the dugong near its calauit safari park do u know it?
You can use it as dive operator only.
There are two places to watch dugong ie. Coron and El Nido. If you have inclination and time, why not?
There are plenty of people who would rather spend min of 3 - 4 days to go to Southern Leyte to see whaleshark than a easy day trip to Oslob.

I had stayed at El Dorado and Liquid previously and none of them can be described as luxury. However, I have no problem with either one of them and will not suggest anything else without first hand experiences.
Anyone can suggest anything simple based on what is published on internet without any experience/knowledge whatsoever.

If you have money to spend then Atlantis or Mike should fit the bill. No experience on both of them. But they have been around quite a while.

My wife and I spent 10 days in Dauin at Atmosphere Resort. We dived 30 some dives and had a great time. 6 of those dives were at Apo Island. This was our first time muck diving and we had a great time.

Attachments

• SportDiver_20240124_092503.jpeg
    SportDiver_20240124_092503.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 32
  • SportDiver_20240124_085548.jpeg
    SportDiver_20240124_085548.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 24
  • SportDiver_20240124_084940.jpeg
    SportDiver_20240124_084940.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 28
  • SportDiver_20240123_110030.jpeg
    SportDiver_20240123_110030.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 24
  • SportDiver_20240123_104834.jpeg
    SportDiver_20240123_104834.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 27
As with @Centrals I've stayed at El Dorado and Liquid. Both are moderately priced ₱₱. El Dorado was always my go-to resort on multiple trips (I really loved that place) but unfortunately it closed during the covid lockdown and never reopened.

I stayed at Liquid last September and really enjoyed it. I think it was around ₱2500 (with breakfast) a night for a seaview cottage. I would (will!) easily stay there again. It is not "posh" but very comfortable, well run and in a beautiful setting right on the water. Two awesome pools, bar and restaurant prices are fair, great service and it is very chill. The owner couple are divers (British & American) and very cool people. You can find a lot of info on the web and on their site. I would recommend if you decide to book there to email and book (paying cash)...you may get a better rate then the booking sites. The owner is very responsive on email. With that said, it is a bit more remote and on the north side of Dauin. It is not on the main beach and there is no really any shore diving right out front as it is quite rocky. The dive shop shuttles you to the shore diving (muck) locations and also have a couple of boats for reefs and Apo runs. To explore Dauin more, you can just take a walk up the jungle road (20 min) to the main highway and hail a trike or the hotel will call one for you. There are a couple of very good and unique restaurants in town. Lokal Food and Beer Garden and Finbar are on the main highway and Frontemare Pizza (wood fired) right on the main beach.

If you want to be on the main beach and right off the shore diving areas, then you can check out Atlantis₱₱₱₱ , Pura Vida₱₱₱, Atmosphere ₱₱₱₱ or Mikes Resort₱₱. If you stay at any of these you are within walking distance to any of the above mentioned restaurants for a change of scenery from the resort.

IMG_6643.jpegIMG_6657.jpegIMG_6652.jpeg

As with @Centrals I've stayed at El Dorado and Liquid. Both are moderately priced ₱₱. El Dorado was always my go-to resort on multiple trips (I really loved that place) but unfortunately it closed during the covid lockdown and never reopened.

I stayed at Liquid last September and really enjoyed it. I think it was around ₱2500 (with breakfast) a night for a seaview cottage. I would (will!) easily stay there again. It is not "posh" but very comfortable, well run and in a beautiful setting right on the water. Two awesome pools, bar and restaurant prices are fair, great service and it is very chill. The owner couple are divers (British & American) and very cool people. You can find a lot of info on the web and on their site. I would recommend if you decide to book there to email and book (paying cash)...you may get a better rate then the booking sites. The owner is very responsive on email. With that said, it is a bit more remote and on the north side of Dauin. It is not on the main beach and there is no really any shore diving right out front as it is quite rocky. The dive shop shuttles you to the shore diving (muck) locations and also have a couple of boats for reefs and Apo runs. To explore Dauin more, you can just take a walk up the jungle road (20 min) to the main highway and hail a trike or the hotel will call one for you. There are a couple of very good and unique restaurants in town. Lokal Food and Beer Garden and Finbar are on the main highway and Frontemare Pizza (wood fired) right on the main beach.

If you want to be on the main beach and right off the shore diving areas, then you can check out Atlantis₱₱₱₱ , Pura Vida₱₱₱, Atmosphere ₱₱₱₱ or Mikes Resort₱₱. If you stay at any of these you are within walking distance to any of the above mentioned restaurants for a change of scenery from the resort.

View attachment 828440View attachment 828441View attachment 828442
thx for your replay. i didnt understand when u say that there are better dive sites for macro on the shore or ? is azure resort is on the beach ?

thx for your replay. i didnt understand when u say that there are better dive sites for macro on the shore or ? is azure resort is on the beach ?
I'll borrow Liquid's map (below) - All of the dive sites in Dauin run along the shore line. A series of moorings. Some can be accessed from shore and all by boat. Azure is on a beach south of the Dauin city proper. I am not familiar with it so I really can't comment. It is however located a 5 min walk to U-Ride Bike Rental if you want to rent a scooter to roam around the area a bit. Bob the owner of U-Bike is an American expat, a super nice guy and a wealth of information. If you do stay at Azure, please report back on your thoughts.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 7.46.58 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom