Where To Stay in Bunaken/Bangka now that prices have gone up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi SB,

Recommendations for nicer level accommodation around Bunaken, Bangka and perhaps Lembeh this May 2024.

Partner snorkels and does not dive. Beach holiday for her really. So ideally;
  • beach/sand (protected from wind but i think we will be safe in May?)
  • nice beach front accom with a/c
  • Indonesian food
  • house reef for snorkelling
FYI we did a trip last Aug 2023 to Bangka staying at CoralEye in the new Villas. Got a special price because they were new. It was fantastic! Loved North Sulawesi. Only downsides were
  • No protection from the NW winds (came early)
  • Food was good but not Indonesian (more Italian Fusion).
  • Prices have now gone up 2-3x what we paid last year. Just can't justify what they're asking for what they're offering
Thanks, LP

Contact Hilde at Nomad Divers, Bangka. Very reasonably priced.

Reactions: Lp
Contact Hilde at Nomad Divers, Bangka. Very reasonably priced.
Second this. The house reef is tremendous for snorkeling, or diving, so your snorkeling friend would be entertained. You dive the same spots that Coral Eye dives. Including a drift dive if you want right in front of Coral Eye. Half the cost at 4/2023 prices, must be even less by your account of Coral Eye raising prices. No AC but I didn't need it.

Nomad Divers is a family owned and operated small resort which can probably host a maximum of 8-10 visitors in a setting accessible by boat or a 1/2 hour walk through the jungle to Lihunu Village. Hilde and Marijn (Belgian and Dutch) host their visitors in a family like setting. They employ 6-8 people from the village, and pride themselves in providing local cuisine, and lots of it! This is not a luxury resort. Power is provided on a somewhat limited basis and air conditioning is not provided. I've stayed there three times and never missed it.
While being a budget operation, they do not skimp on equipment offered, boat safety and comfort. They employ one of the best captains on the island along with one of the most skilled and knowledgeable dive masters. They have an extensive knowledge of all the dive sites on the island and a good weather eye to access the more obscure sites when conditions are good.
They can schedule walks to the village and to the hills overlooking the island. They can provide Kayaks to explore the shoreline. There is a small private, secluded sand beach a short walk from the main resort buildings.

During the pandemic Marijn and Hilde insisted on keeping the core employees on salary for over a year! They are still struggling to return to pre-pandemic occupancy to keep their dream afloat.

Sorry I wasn’t probably clear enough, my partner is a non diver, nomad won’t work. I visited there last year on a surface interval. Lovely town area and bay.

Googling around it really seems it’s either budget or luxury, ie 100usd/night or 400usd/night. Nothing really in between.

Murex Bangladesh would be good for non divers. great beach for snorkeling and lounging at. Good WiFi and there is also cell reception with data. Not sure where they fall on pricing now but it was very reasonable in 2022.

Murex Bangladesh would be good for non divers. great beach for snorkeling and lounging at. Good WiFi and there is also cell reception with data. Not sure where they fall on pricing now but it was very reasonable in 2022.
Second this. Dove with them in fall 2023, and found them reasonable (reasonable being a very fluid concept).

• Funny
Second this. Dove with them in fall 2023, and found them reasonable (reasonable being a very fluid concept).
i think reasonable is fluid going uphill!

anyway, I think we're going to head to Philippines just because of price. Shame because i really want to go back here as we had such a good holiday and every dive was A grade. I fear Philippines might not be that....

Thats taking their "passport to paradise" to another level... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom