Bangka (& Bunaken) Trip Report - Bastianos July 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing. Looks like it’s fine removing Bunaken from my dive list
We(three of us) enjoyed Bunaken more then Lembeh. I am pretty sure Lembeh is history for me.
Macro is NOT our cup of tea.

Bangka: Bangka (July 2022)

Bangka was stop 2/3 for my July trip and I spent 5 days doing 17 dives (skipped 1 last night dive due to feeling too cold). Bastianos arranged the transfer from airport -> Lembeh -> Bangka -> Bunkan -> airport for EUR105pp. The transfer did take up a whole half day, for both moves I did 2 morning dives then lunch, and left around 2pm and arrived around 6pm in time for dinner. You could squeeze in a night dive so you only lose 1 afternoon dive on transfer day. The drive takes ~2.5 hours and the boat another 30min. I was the only guest on Bangka for again half my stay, overlapping w 1 American couple for 2 days.

Bastianos Bangka is beautiful and by far the newest and nicest of the 3. From the moment you arrive at the dock the water is crystal clear and you can easily see corals, fish etc from the surface. The whole walk down the dock reminded me of Tetamanu in Fakarava South, it was super scenic and pretty. The house reef which I did as a last dive is really good (not as good as Sahaung but great for a house reef), and you can see several metal structures (the largest of which is shaped like a car and 3 years old) that Barney built to grow the coral. There is actually quite a current and lots of fish by the house reef.

The resort is bigger and nicer than Lembeh in every way. The pool is open but alas not the spa. The restaurant is very grand looking and very Bali-esque. Rooms were bigger and newer but sadly the shower was fully outdoors, and you need to turn the water on for at least 5min before you get hot water. Pressure was not as good as at Lembeh but still pretty decent. There is again no wifi in the room, but pretty fast wifi in the restaurant, and very weak to no 4G signal.

The camera room is up A LOT of stairs, so I didn’t end up using it until my housing started leaking and I needed to use the air gun. It’s pretty illogical placement, it’s so far from the dive shop. We sometimes went through the dock (which entailed a pretty long walk) and sometimes the boat was able to dock right on the beach. It does take the crew quite some time to park the boat every time.

Food is not as nice as at Lembeh but they do give you a bit more. In general I felt the staff was less happy/enthusiastic compared to Lembeh, and service not quite as good.

Dive logistics is pretty similar to Lembeh - but dives are capped at 60min and sites generally a bit farther away. I dove with Albert (had a private guide without asking or paying for it) the entire time and he was great too. We did 1 dive every morning at Sahaung along with another wide angle dive, and did macro for the afternoon and night dives. Macro was very diverse but the density of critters / speed he was finding them wasn’t as nearly high as Lembeh. Special orders (for pontani pygmies) did pull through and there was loads of frog fishes, nudis, and octopuses (mostly coconuts). Sadly my ask for harlequin shrimp fell through again.

Bangka is really pretty and very fishy - lots of sites with gorgeous soft corals surrounded by tons of fish. We even managed to see 2 mantas on one dive (tho they were quite far away). It’s honestly puzzling why so few people come to Bangka and opt for Bunekan instead (Bastianos Bunekan was FULL) - Bangka is just so much better for general reefs, corals, fishiness - only thing Bunaken wins on is turtles. I think 5-7 days is about right for Bangka tho, as it’ll probably feel repetitive after a while. I found myself taking photos of the same corals/groups of fish at Sahaung from the same angle after a few days and only realising after in Lightroom. Tanjong Husi is the other one that really stood out and we did multiple times.

Would highly recommend and would definitely come back.

Bunekan: Bunaken (July 2022)

I don’t have much to say on this one, it was by far my least favourite and least pleasant experience. I only stayed 2 nights and did 2 dives - because it was the most well-known one I assumed it would have the best internet for my last day of remote work while I off-gassed, but this one turned out to have equally weak 4G/wifi (none in rooms).

Diving was good for turtles (you see 10+ every dive) but otherwise I found the walls lacking of color - there are healthy corals but it’s not the pretty kind. Tubbataha was way prettier for wall dives.

Sites are super crowded (2-3 boats) relatively speaking and divers were pretty fresh (lots of flailing about in the water). Dives capped at 60min again

Resort is fine - bbq night was great - but I had a big issue with no working shower in my room (the $125/night premium one…) Staff was completely inattentive and I came back from a dive sitting outside for an hour while having no clue what was being done for my shower. Found one person, asked them, they say someone is looking into it and go back to their phone, 10min later no update, find another person, repeat etc. Resort manager was utterly useless and unhelpful. I finally had to shower in another room and the shower was still not fixed when I left 2 days later. Absolutely nightmare.

Spa was open but the massage was pretty horrible, easily the worst one I’ve had yet. Plus they forgot about it until I showed up. (Contrast this with Mina the Lembeh resort manager who really tried her hardest to arrange for an external one to come...)

I will not be going back to this one and I’m honestly baffled why it’s so popular (resort was full!). Bangka >>> Bunaken was a sentiment that was shared by Barney and Mina when I asked whether I should move some days around too. This one is way overhyped imo.
Late to the party but thanks for the helpful info - just booked my ticket to Manado for Feb. I'll be making a return visit to Lembeh and am planning to check out Bangka for the first time. I'm looking at Blue Bay - I had initially talked to them in 2020 but that plan went sideways. It's on the rustic side I think but looks really gorgeous & peaceful. Bastianos is my next choice but a bit more $$$. Good to know that I probably can skip a special trip to Bunaken.

Late to the party but thanks for the helpful info - just booked my ticket to Manado for Feb. I'll be making a return visit to Lembeh and am planning to check out Bangka for the first time. I'm looking at Blue Bay - I had initially talked to them in 2020 but that plan went sideways. It's on the rustic side I think but looks really gorgeous & peaceful. Bastianos is my next choice but a bit more $$$. Good to know that I probably can skip a special trip to Bunaken.
Bangka offers a large diversity in resorts. From the low budget type which does not have any power during the night (no fan either) to the more luxury places with air conditioning and hot showers. Around Lembeh Strait there is also a large choice in good accommodations and dive center. But only Divers Lodge Lembeh offers the unique service of a private boat :)

Bangka offers a large diversity in resorts. From the low budget type which does not have any power during the night (no fan either) to the more luxury places with air conditioning and hot showers. Around Lembeh Strait there is also a large choice in good accommodations and dive center. But only Divers Lodge Lembeh offers the unique service of a private boat :)
Already paid for my accommodation in Lembeh but will definitely look at Divers Lodge for next time!

Check out Nomad's on Bangka. Small, family owned and operated, inexpensive. My first trip to the area I hit Bunaken, Lembeh, and Bangka. Now I don't bother with Bunaken or Lembeh. Bangka is fantastic.

Check out Nomad's on Bangka. Small, family owned and operated, inexpensive. My first trip to the area I hit Bunaken, Lembeh, and Bangka. Now I don't bother with Bunaken or Lembeh. Bangka is fantastic.
Have seen them before but totally forgot - thanks for refreshing my memory! Definitely looks beautiful as well. Did you find that it was very hot at night...? Sleeping without even a fan is my only hesitation.

I've stayed there in September and March, both on the hillside and on the beach, and never had problems with the heat at night. That March of 2022 Covid chased me out mid 25 day stay as airlines and airports all around were shutting down. The only discomfort I felt was from mosquitos, so you have to treat your clothes or use repellant.
The resort is owned and operated bi a Dutch-Belgian couple along with their two young children Language is nominally English due to visitors from all over. The little resort can probably handle 15 visitors maximum. Meals are family style and of Indonesian origin. Meals may be interrupted by a Monitor walking along the beach or small pythons dropping from the trees. Tarsiers are also plentiful, if hard to spot.
Diving is fantastic. Of the 60 or so dives I've made with Nomads we only crossed paths with other groups once. Fish life is abundant in density and number of species. Coral is pristine and varied. Water is usually calm and warm and only light currents when I was there. Occasional sightings of dugong. Shallow corals, pinnacles and walls and deeper plateaus with large schools of snapper. Not so many fish larger than Trevally.
Nomad can be reached by a one hour taxi ride from Manado + half hour on the boat, or arrangements can be made for transport from Lembeh or Bunaken.
The resort had been closed two years because of the virus, only recently getting back on track. Send Hilde an email and she can answer any questions you might have.

Here's a facebook page with a video of the recent relaunch of the dive boat.

Have seen them before but totally forgot - thanks for refreshing my memory! Definitely looks beautiful as well. Did you find that it was very hot at night...? Sleeping without even a fan is my only hesitation.
Are you sure about a fan at Blue Bay?

Are you sure about a fan at Blue Bay?
They have them in the rooms but shut off the power at night as well, is my understanding - same as Nomads. That's why as I said I am a little hesitant, and considering Bastianos as a backup (just need to see if I can swing the extra $$$ once all the other pieces of the trip come together).

They have them in the rooms but shut off the power at night as well, is my understanding - same as Nomads. That's why as I said I am a little hesitant, and considering Bastianos as a backup (just need to see if I can swing the extra $$$ once all the other pieces of the trip come together).
Did you have a look at Murex, Mimpi Indah and Sea Souls? I do not know if Coral Eye opened again as well. Anyways much choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom