Where to stash your keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to the original question:

I have the best luck with a key pouch. Since they are flexible, there is essentially no pressure difference from outside the pouch and I have had zero leaks. Mine has a lanyard, so I can wear it under my wetsuit and not worry about the key.

I have also used a hard case and learned to despise them. Since they deal with the same pressure a camera case does, they are prone to leakage especially since you are not likely to take as much care with keeping the o-ring lubed and clean. I had 2 leaks, both small but worried me and a avoid using it now.

Lastly, with many chipped keys, you can get a duplicate made for a lot less if you have 2 working keys. Seems silly, but with 2 working keys on some cars you can add a 3rd key yourself. With only 1 working key for security reasons, you have to have the dealer reprogram the computer in the car and the cost can double/triple.

I have one of those pricey chipped keys so I'm paranoid about a flood. Thanks everyone for the great input.

Ya just get a key cut for the door. We cuts keys like that for people all the time! We always make sure that people understand that a metal only key will only open the door and for some that's enough. Most people like that convenience b/c for only $4 you can solve most lockout issues. Make a couple and stash them in your bag, hitch safe even the magnetic box underneath (no worries about it bouncing off when it's not being driven :wink:)

Be careful using the term "valet key" though. It's not technically correct. A valet key by design actually runs the car but doesn't allow access to private areas such as the trunk or glove box. This of course is old school and isn't really seen on newer vehicles but nonetheless if you use that term you may be handed a key and asked to hand over $100+ not knowing what you just asked for :wink:

You might be surprised at the price to get a keypad cut for the door. For my Ford, I believe it cost about the same as getting another key. i have really, really enjoyed that option on my truck!

So, what do you do to hide your keys? :confused:

Put 'em in my underwear if I'm dry.
Wear them around my neck under the wetsuit if I'm wet.

Put 'em in my underwear if I'm dry.
Wear them around my neck under the wetsuit if I'm wet.

Remind me not to ask to borrow your keys :rofl3:

I won't tell anyone I put the key under the front left.... OOPS! never mind....

I try to keep it simple. If i'm diving dry i'll put the key inside my pocket but often times I don't even bother.

Hiding the key somewhere near the dive site under a large rock or in the wheel well of your car works fine as long as nobody is watching you hide the key.

No sense over complicating the problem with an expensive solution. Just hide the key or even better, get one of those magnet key holders and stick it under your car.

Reactions: Doc
My vehicle has a chipped key, but I am told you can get a valet key cut - only good for unlocking the doors. Leave your remote & chipped key in the vehicle, and you can carry the valet key anywhere convenient, including on a high tech piece of string around your neck :). My wetsuit has a key pocket, so I am going to get a valet key cut and carry it there.
My car has one of those fancy chip keyless fobs. It also has a slide out key for the door. I had the dealer cut me a separate key that just locks the door as the starter is keyless.

I put a carabiner style clip with a zip tie in my BC pocket and attached a metal ring through the key eyelet. After locking the car manually with key and hiding the fob in the car I clip the ring into the carabiner to ensure it doesn't accidently get pulled out or lost during the dive. That would really suck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom