Where to stash your keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have one of the keyless keys. However, my car does have the option of using a regular key on the driver's door. So, I had a key made for this. It will not start the vehicle, but at least I can lock it. I use the keyless fob to start.

My car has a plain old key you can have cut at the hardware store for $.99. It does have a chip in the key but that one is zip tied to the transponder antenna inside the steering column(I'm to cheep to purchase $80 replacement keys), I'm pretty sure no one is going to steel my ten year old Caravan. So with that said my key gets attached to a bolt snap and goes into my right drysuit pocket.

We actually have a Hitch Safe. It is fantastic - we keep a spare key and $40 in it. It is very well made, quite secure, inconspicuous and works well. For dive-to-dive day use, though, I'd have a tough time recommending it. It is just a tad unweildly, opening and closing it every time, by taking off the rubber cover, using your fingernail to flip the digits, and finally extracting your key.

I just stick our (electronic) truck keys inside my drysuit undergarments.

With all that said, the Hitch Safe has been an awesome investment. It's nice peace of mind knowing we'll never be locked out.

All the best, James

Well my keys have gone for a dive before, luckily I got them back but my key fob luckily worked after I dried it out. For dives though I have a small pelican case that i keep all my stuff in.

Surprisingly, the Pelican Micro cases will tolerate quite a bit of depth. I've seen them make it to 100' intact and dry.

The smaller cases - like the 1010 - do the best:

1010_xlarge_3281.jpg

The small cases have good support for the clear plastic face, and do quite well. The larger sizes, like the 1050, have enough unsupported clear plastic that the front "dishes" in pretty severely as depth increases. Eventually the distortion is enough that it breaks the seal at the edge.

We've used this for GPS fixes from depth. Just place your GPS unit in the box set to record waypoints, and send it up to the surface with a reel when you want a GPS fix.

All the best, James

Thank you for all the great ideas. I'm considering having the Home Depot special key cut just to take it diving with me. Though keep the ideas coming!

Surprisingly, the Pelican Micro cases will tolerate quite a bit of depth. I've seen them make it to 100' intact and dry.

The smaller cases - like the 1010 - do the best:

1010_xlarge_3281.jpg

The small cases have good support for the clear plastic face, and do quite well. The larger sizes, like the 1050, have enough unsupported clear plastic that the front "dishes" in pretty severely as depth increases. Eventually the distortion is enough that it breaks the seal at the edge.

We've used this for GPS fixes from depth. Just place your GPS unit in the box set to record waypoints, and send it up to the surface with a reel when you want a GPS fix.

All the best, James

Man, thats awesome! I havent thought about the GPS thing. I will need to take one on a dive a couple of times before I trust it enough to put my GPS in it. LOL
Great ideas!

Will a GPS signal penetrate the water reliably at depth?

My car key costs 250$ to replace and there are no blanks available to cut. (Mercedes) I put them in an empty Halcyon lamp case. It has less of a chance to flood than a dry suit.

In a pinch I also hid my key under a rock or a in a hollow stump.

i know you said no magnetic keyholder but i still think its the best option, nobody is going to be suspicious if you open the hood and hide it there, or behind the license plate

if not, can always just take the valet key, so no remote to be damaged underwater

Especially if you can only open the hood from the inside of the car...and requiring a key to unlock the door to get to that darn handle...
:wink:
I amlucky enough to have keypad entry on my door, so I leave the key inside my vehicle and unlock the door using the keypad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom